Sunday, March 12, 2006

Wouldn't it Be Nice?

Seems like the more money some people get, the hungrier for riches they become. Some will do whatever it takes to get more. I've never had much $$, though I've definitely had more than some. I'm not in love with the green stuff. I think it's sad that many times money comes between a person in need and an act of kindness. People often go without medical exams/treatments because they can't afford it, others go homeless or hungry because they have no cash. Do they deserve to eat any less than the successful business man? Walk into a bank with little downpayment and you'll probably be rejected- doesn't matter how honest or hard-working you are- money speaks. Those fortunate enough to have lots of money will receive the royal treatment. Same bank, different treatment. Isn't it strange how money makes such a hard distinction between people! Before money, there was trading & bartering- which I feel was a much better system. There were no pin numbers to memorize, receipts to keep track of, no sales tax and no inflation when someone with goat cheese traded for a wool sweater. I've bartered with people in the past- it works well. Service for service. This system was a great leveler of men and helped forge community friendships in the past. Wouldn't it be nice if we could do more transactions the old-fashioned way?!

Years ago, when you moved into a new community, neighbors would show up at your door with bread or cookies, introduce themselves and welcome you to the neighborhood. People used to understand they needed each other. They watched out for the neighbor's children, helped bring in crops or fix a broken fence. I remember moving many times as a girl and having several ladies stop by to greet us. We always had Sweet Tea or Lemonade to offer a guest. One town we lived in had a block party/BBQ every summer- FUN! I was ALL excited when we moved to the south 7 years ago. Thought I would get a chance to see some of that hospitality the south is so famous for. NOT!! We've move 3 times down here- guess what? The neighbors on our little country road aren't sociable at all, in fact we've had several neighbors that are downright hostile. Why the cold shoulder? They don't even know us!! The neighbor next door gossiped, accusing us of throwing dead chickens in their field. (They didn't talk to us about this) As soon as we were told, I went right over to assure them we would do our best to be good neighbors and would never throw dead animals on their property. (If they found chicken carcasses over there it was because their dogs were killing our hens, not because we were using their space as a depository.) Another neighbor called Animal Control and falsely reported that we have "3 viscious dogs running loose". (We only have 2 dogs, mostly indoor- anything BUT viscious) After finding a notice taped to my door, I drove over to see this lady while she was working in her yard. I was friendly, gave her our number and let her know if our dogs were ever any trouble, she could simply call me. She was actually quite friendly and apologized for calling the pound before talking to us, but apparently there's a lot of bad blood around here. One neighbor suing another, etc. Sometimes I think people enjoy having someone to fight with. Wouldn't it be nice if folks could learn to be neighborly again?!

8 comments:

Pete said...

Hi Trailady

I also live in a country area. In the Gold Coast hinterland.

Most people around have been here for 30 years. My next door neighbors virtually adopted me and know ALL the gossip and rumor. Now that my partner (Pam) is on the scene I see a little less of them.

My property has one or two mango, orange and mandarin trees - so I barter these for the neighbors' cucmbers, water melons, rock melons and tomatos. This system works well because whenever the fruit is producing there is always more than one household can consume or store.

I lived in the South (Fort Hood, Texas) for 2 years in the mid 1970s - when my father was seconded to the US Army. People in the suburb were very friendly - partly because it was the South but mainly as all people around were in the same "boat" (the Army or Army dependents). A lovely safe 2 years for a kid.

Pete

Nabeel said...

i knowww .. i miss the old times when you used to know who is your neighbor and who lives in your neighborhood .. men taking of their hats when women pass by .. people welcoming new comers in the neighborhood .. i meannn now if you do that people think you're crazy .. andd yaa we live in a sucky time, thats what I think.

and yaa ... money talks .. it's a hard fact!

Royce said...

This is one of the saddest posts I have read in a while, people should be nice. It costs nothing and you get so much more in return.
I say hi to everyone everywhere, most of the time I get pleasant responses, a kind word is so rare now that when people get one they are generally in shock. It is amazing how many social, economic, religious and racial barriers can be overcome by a smile or opening the door for someone else. There are a lot of Muslims in the area where I live, mostly they avoid eye contact or verbal contact with me or anyone else, this may be a cultural thing, like its rude to look a person in the eye, or it may be a self-preservation thing with all the religious tension in the world. However I make a point to open the door for the families as the enter or exit our local convenience mart, the honest, open, truly kind smiles and looks of appreciation I get are far more precious to me than money.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

I hear the sweet sadness of the celtic tune playing, and your spirit that loves what is true and right...

kairosnow said...

I can see the pain in this post. I can identify with all that you said about living in a good neighbourhood. My family has lived in the same place for almost sixty years now. Everybody in town knew everybody else, but this is changing slowly. I don't remmeber having a decent conversation with my neigbhours. I don't know them well to talk to them. And yes, there are those who get a thrill out of troubling others. I wonder why its the same every where :).

The barter system what you talked about was a wonderful system being practiced even till today in the rural areas even till today.

Here in India(Bangalore) capitalism is slowly taking roots. People are seeing money like never before, while this is good, it also brings with it a lot of ills you talked about. And yes, $$ rules the roots. Its painful. Thanks for sharing.

Andy said...

Being a bean-counter by profession, I have seen, all too often, the power of $$$, the drive to maximize profit at all costs - and it becomes really disheartening when the wealth generated isn't shared with those who helped drive it.

Certainly in my sphere, I have seen that those who earn more also receive more perks - why is it that the guy who makes $200k a year also gets the car allowance and mileage allowance and the free meals, while the $50k a year worker has to pay for everything himself?

::

I am fortunate that in my neighborhood, we do know many of our neighbors - so we do watch each other's homes. It certainly would be nice if more communities were like mine.

kathi said...

I've been very blessed. I've always had great neighbors, my entire life. I've lived in the same house now for 21 years, since my husband and I got married. Our entire block knows and likes each other, we've raised each others kids and searched for each others lost animals. I pray everyone would know this kind of neighborly love...what a world that would be.:) Soon.

Trailady said...

Thanks for all the comments! I'm SO happy to know that at least some of us have really good/friendly neighbors. (Okay, I'll admit it- I'm JEALOUS!) :o) I'm going to pray REALLY hard that next time we buy property & build a house, we'll find one in a better area. Until then, I'm trying to turn these aloof neighbors of mine into friends...