Friday, March 31, 2006

Dare 2B Real!

Did anyone ever tell you to "get your act together"? I've heard it plenty of times. I tried really hard for a long time to do exactly that. I was a great actor too! Well rehearsed, I performed the acceptable words to say, the right way to eat, dress and express my worship. I got some kudos from higher-ups- I admit it felt pretty good- so I kept working on my "act". I felt conflicted though because I knew I wasn't being real- I was a deciever. The "me" people saw wasn't who I really was... Then something amazing happened on my journey- I connected with a living God. Many wonderful changes have occurred because of this! The biggest one? I'm no longer tearing myself down with some self-destructive habits- my eating disorder being one of the biggies. But self-loathing is still a struggle because I need a place to belong- a place where it's safe to say, "This is who I am, this is where I'm at" and not be rejected but embraced. I think I may have found this place...
Too many Christians are smug and self-assured. They've "had their acts together" for such a long time now, they feel they can stand in judgement of others calling it "discernment". They think they are above sinning now and don't see a need for a Savior. Parading around wrapped in the filthy rags they call "righteousness", they are self-deceived thinking they please God by their sacrifice & good deeds. Precious few have a heart-to-heart, life-changing connection... too often we hold God at arms length because we fear Him and don't want to move beyond our comfort zone.
Brokenness is a powerful tool in the hand of God to bring us to Himself. It happens after He lets us run ourselves ragged trying to whip ourselves into shape- finally we fall exhausted at His feet realizing no matter how hard we try, we were born with a fallen nature that continually gets the best of us. We realize there is NO hope unless a power outside ourselves rescues us. Either we resent & reject God at that point, or we run headlong into His arms.
I'm no longer driven to "get my ACT together" because I'm learning to be real. Some may not approve, but My Father loves me. I am His and He has the power to change me. I can rest now, because He is working 24/7. This stone heart of mine, once so angry, so cold is opening. I still have scars but I can feel again. The late Rich Mullins referred to this process in his song 'The Hatching of A Heart'. So, ditch the "act", you don't have to be a player. Step outside the box, ask your questions, prayerfully do your own research historically & theologically. Reach out to The Almighty- He's there, give Him a chance! Unless this is done earnestly, are any of us justified in turning our backs on God?

14 comments:

Andy said...

Too many Christians are smug and self-assured.

Yes, the lack of humility of many professed "Christians" is disheartening to see, especially when a good many of them hold secular political power - and crave more of it and the attention that comes with it.

Pharasaical? You bet. Christ-like? Definitely not.

The most powerful spiritual moments I've had with other believers is when we come together as a community and confess our failings to each other before God and pray for each other. It is a cleansing act, because we come out of it knowing we are stronger for breaking ourselves before Him.

Trailady said...

Well said, Andy!! :o)

Sam!! said...

Hi,

Hope u n ur family is doing fine there.

One thing is for sure that no one is perfect in this world. We all r helpless n dependent at God. Unless He wants we cant do anything.

Wat i had learned till now is that God give us pains n happiness to test us and to make us realize the importance of the resources been given to us by Him. Its to generate faith n trust that God do exist n helping us all the way. Like health after illness makes us realize the importance n value of health, during any problem we pray alot to God to take us out from it and God, He is so merciful who always help us out no matter how bad we are.

Trailady said...

Thank you for adding your thoughts, Samrina. I love your blog- especially the beautiful poem I found there today. :o)

MovinMan said...

As I've told people at our church, I don't have time to take care of the problems in others lives. I have too many that God and I are working on in my own.

I appreciate Andy's comments. I have a friend here who is an Arkansas State Legislator AND a Pastor. His own mother freely tells everyone that she will never vote for him because in becoming a politician, he has taken a step down from his calling. I appreciate him, but I find myself trusting him less and less. I definitely see the desire for more power seen.

gmc said...

I didn't understand exactly your post but one thing is sure: the acts are right when they're not produce by refering to an ego who pretends to know what is right ot wrong; this occurs when something bigger than you is acting from this body you think yours.
real action is non-action (action is female and male is contemplation): things happen but "I" as an ego is not acting even if this body's producing acts and even if this tought is thinking.
the only point of free will you have is the point of your own identification, let's have an example:
I am not this body
I am not these thougths
I am not these emotions
and these three points are not mine and I'm not the one who produces the acts.
however, here are a body, thoughts and emotions and acts (like this text, for instance) are happening.

is that clear enough? (sorry but it's quite difficult to explain in french what is invisible, imagine in english...)

Aiman said...

Thank you for your words of wisdom. People of all religions can relate to them. We Muslims also have this problem -- habit of judging though they are not in a position to do it. By judging others I think, they are wanting to cover their own faults. But God can see right through them.

Gingers Mom said...

Well said. It's when people run into these kinds of Christians that it turns others away from God. Good for you in seeking out a way to be genuine and love God, not the act.

Gingers Mom said...

Well said. It's when people run into these kinds of Christians that it turns others away from God. Good for you in seeking out a way to be genuine and love God, not the act.

Nabeel said...

"Get your act together" actually means .. "just let go" (many situations)


Just be who are you .. I say never let go. (well as long as every thing is under the circle of ethics)

AJ said...

I like your point here. "Acts" creep in with such amazing persistence, they have to be beaten back deliberately. Incredibly, this is all the more so in a culture that claims to love "authenticity" and "realness."

I've been known to pull out a fairly polished "authenticity" act on occasion...

Anand said...

*I'm no longer driven to "get my ACT together" because I'm learning to be real*
that says it all...kudos to u for having realised this and for gathering the strength back to feel good about urself!
Irrespective of the religion I think we all need to learn these lessons!
Lovely Post and will dropping by!

Trailady said...

Good reversal of thought there Ariel! Yes, sometimes it can happen that way too. :o)

Anonymous said...

You sure know how to say things in a way that I can really understand. I agree dont be fake.