Friday, March 10, 2006

Life Isn't Long Enough...

From the time I was very little I've had this great passion for life and a love for the many elements of our existence. I've never been one who simply dips her toe into anything. I dive head-long into my pursuits. True to my Scotch-Irish roots, I grieve hard and celebrate heartily! There are SO many things I'd like to do- many roles I would like to try on for size. I love to study culture- human diversity fascinates me! I greatly enjoy the arts, especially the symphony. I have a heart for so many things, animals, painting, music, horsemanship, writing, romance, acting, teaching, mothering, fitness. How can one pursue everything she's passionate about in one short lifetime?! Everyone has dreams & goals. It's unfair that we are often unable to pursue our ideals due to factors like heritage, genetics, location, finances, aging, bad luck & time constraints. No matter how rich or poor, each of us have 12 hrs each day in which to maximize our potential. If we manage to avoid death by accident, illness or terrorism, we have about 70 years in which to work toward our goals and see our dreams come true. I believe we're born with enough creativity to last forever, but have bodies that diminish. Live each day to the utmost. Do your best to work through the baggage of hurtful relationships, issues of hatred, personal failure, tragedy & disappointment. Don't be content to merely exist- thrive. Take time to enjoy, to savor things. Connect with people, share with them, learn their wisdom. Most of all, do what you can to help others have a better experience. Most of us are given 5 senses of Taste, Touch, Smell, Sight & Hearing. Here's what each of my senses enjoy:

Taste- a nice salad, fresh fruit, a good piece of fish, popcorn, homemade bread, Breyer's choco-mint ice cream
Touch- Softness of baby skin, hot baths, velvet muzzles (horse), relaxing massage, lying close to my man, going barefoot
Smell- Fresh-cut grass, a summer rain, fresh-baked bread, clean laundry, leather, evergreens, Roses, Hyacinths, Gardenia, Honeysuckle, Lilac, Lily of the Valley, Carnations, etc.
Sight- A moon rising over the mountains, horses running, sunset at the shore, gentle snowfalls, Christmas lights, Spring & Fall colors, waterfalls, a lit fireplace
Hearing- A baby's first cry, kind words, horses, gentle rain or a thunder storm, wind in the trees, Enya, Mozart, the pounding beat of workout music, a good concert, Irish Reels, birdsong, sighs of contentment, laughter, prayer, the sound of different languages, silence...

Well, that's enough about me. What about you??

9 comments:

Yvonne Parks said...

Found you by accident.
Great entry!!

Andy said...

Fabulous post, Trailady.

Taste: a grilled bratwurst with kraut and mustard at the ballpark...

Touch: hugs of my family - wife and kids...

Smell: a good BBQ...

Sight: Sunset at the Beach, especially when there are clouds that turn great shades of red and orange...or a game winning home run...or a really good movie...

Hearing: fantastic music...the voices of my family...

Royce said...

taste
good hoppy IPA, scallops sauteed in butter and garlic, applewood smoked pork, grilled portebello mushroom caps with olive oil rosemary and REAL parmesian ( I love food, taste is on of my strongest senses )
touch
babies skin, satin sheets, the feel of my KBs in my hands, wet grass, cold blankets, my wifes breasts
smell
BBQ, fresh cut hay, apple pie baking, curry, sandalwood, patchoulie, rosemary, sage, thyme, basil, lemon grass, sassafrass, good rich dirt ( the kind you dig up in the forrest ), evergreens, roses,
sight
wife in shower always good! '67 corvette, sunset after duststorm, grand canyon, canyon de' chelly, my childrens smiles, matisse ( he painted with color it always takes me off guard ), restored 1943 knucklehead, anything by Chip Foose ( that dude should be recognized as a artist akin the the masters, he won't be though ), fire, forrests, the waterfall at Ragged Point in Cali, Angelina Jolie's eyes, the ocean
hearing
music ( very ecclectic tastes anthrax to grateful dead to zap mama ), my wife singing and playng piano, mockingbirds, wind blowing through treetops, streams, children laughing, rain, thunder,
great post!

Royce said...

I read a post on an online training forum a while back. " You can't be good at everything, and that sucks ( clean version ), but it is worse to be good at nothing "
It made me re-evaluate my goals!!

Trailady said...

Hmmm, that's a deep thought there, Royce... Thanks! :o)

Crystal said...

Very true words, and I lament that there are so few "productive" hours in the day to accomodate all the things that I really wish I could do. I have that passion and zeal for life that you describe, and one thing I hope to do over the next few months is read a LOT of books!

Paul said...

Beautiful post!!!

I wish that I had the resources to travel more. There are so many places that I want to see.

Tim Rice said...

Trailady, you are such an inspiration with your positive approach to life. Thank you.

roman said...

I like the feeling of cool wind against my face as I exit the artificial environment of a building. It penetrates deep into my skin and reverberates directly into my psyche. No matter what transpired before is momentarily lost.
I agree, it is the "little" unexpected things that make life such a privileged gift.
Best post I've read in some time.