Sunday, August 20, 2006

Living, Breathing Ironies...

Every life is a miracle! The fact that any of us have breath or move is amazing. When one studies the body and how it functions, it is truly wonderful. I remember as a small child, lying in my bed with my arms reaching toward the ceiling and marveling at the many ways I could move my hands. Incredible! Consider the intellect and the ability to laugh, cry, dream, reproduce. We are magnificent.... yet, ironically we are nothing... ask the one trapped in subzero weather during the Iditarod how strong he is. Ask the one standing in the middle of a war-torn land how strong she is. We are born into this world naked and helpless. We live as best we can, then we die. In between, we should make the most of every day realizing that tomorrow isn't guaranteed...

Take away our fast cars, hot clothes, cell phones, iPod's, fancy houses, washing machines, running water and air-conditioning and we soon find how fragile we really are. Oh, it doesn't take much to shake us up. You would think it's a major crisis when some people have to live without cable TV for a week.

Take any hot-shot and dump them in the middle of the desert, he/she will soon feel the weakness of humanity. Put any one person in the middle of a heated conflict and ask them to solve the problem- they will soon feel the strength of hatred against the limited power of one mind. Yet, one man or woman CAN make a difference. Jesus Christ, Mohammad, Mother Theresa, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Jr.

We tend to get lethargic- wrapped up in our own lives. If we are highly priviledged, we tend to forget about those who are less fortunate. When we are comfortable, we tend to forget about the comfort of others. Strip all these comforts away and suddenly we are more willing to see the other side of things...

I want eyes to see beyond my own life, to share the pain of others, to make a difference in some way.

4 comments:

Gingers Mom said...

I feel lethargic and wrapped up in my own life alot. Trying to get out of it.

BrainSyke said...

please don ot equate Jesus and Mohammed, may peace and blessings be upon them with the likes of Mother Teressa, and ghandi, and Dr. Luther King. Though the latter were great people in their own context, Jesus and Mohammed are far superior and sent as blessings to entire nations and man kind.


There is a common theory that suggest all individuals are connected to each other by a certain degree of relations, the theory also futher suggests that because of this our lives are constantly influenced by people we may not even know exists. This suggests to me, that I am constantly influencing lives (in some way). In order to make positive difference to the outside, I must, threfore, first uphold myself to the higest standards of ethics, conciousness, knowledge, truthfullness,and awareness. The outcome will ripple outwards naturally.

Anonymous said...

Great post TL. I get it. Thanks for bringing this out.

Trailady said...

Thanks, Brian. You have a good week too.

Inheritor, I will read your post & respond. Thanks for sharing.

Kristin, We are ALL learning and growing in this life... :o)

Brainsyke, Not meaning to equate Jesus and Mohammad, simply listing my heroes as examples of people who inspired me and changed the world...

Donny, You're welcome! Thanks for reading. :o)