Thursday, August 31, 2006

A New Addition...

Okay, I've had big dogs all my life and I love them- really! After my beloved Lab mix, Timber died, I started doing breed research in hopes of narrowing it down to a breed from which to adopt a puppy. At first I was looking at Weimers, Boxers and Border Collies. However, during this time I absolutely fell in love with the dog at my Chiropractor's office. Her name was 'Angel'- she was the smartest, cutest, most adorable dog I had ever met. She was a black Toy Poodle who came bounding to the lobby to greet me when she heard my keys jingle. Angel fit perfectly in my lap and loved to be babied. Did you know Poodles rank #1 in many surveys on Canine intelligence? This non-shedding breed is easy to train and not likely to cause allergic reactions in people. I must admit, I never thought I would become the proud owner of a Poodle. Contrary to popular belief, the Poodle is not a yippy, nervous fru-fru dog- though poorly socialized Poodles can certainly be that way. The Poodle can be a pampered pet, but don't underestimate it's staying power. They originated as Gun Dogs retrieving game from frigid waters. They are hearty and loyal to their owners. Poodle are quite versitile, working as rescue dogs, therapy dogs and seeing-eye dogs. They compete successfully in everything from frisbee and flyball to agility.

Well, after several years of research, failed attempts to connect with breeders, being quoted ridiculously high prices, etc. I finally was able to find a breeder who is sweet, down-to-earth AND willing to sell me a puppy. Now that I am working more often, I can afford one. So yesterday, we drove over to the breeder and picked out a puppy. She is red like my hair. I got to meet the parents- both gorgeous, affectionate, healthy dogs with shining eyes. I am quite pleased! (Wish I could post a picture of her for you to see. Perhaps if I ever get the photo posting problem figured out I can share eventually.)

I like the portability of a small dog. I like the idea of having a dog that can cuddle on the couch & travel in the van without puncturing holes in the seat coverings. So, 'Rhett's Flaming Ember' or 'Ember' for short will be coming home with me sometime in mid-late October. I CAN'T WAIT!! :o)

3 comments:

Trailady said...

Ahhhh, yes- so true! Dogs are my favorite animals for that very reason- they know how to give and accept love. They know how to forgive and they are always ready to play or go for a walk.

Gotta love 'em!!! :o)

Nabeel said...

what did u do with Timber when he died .. burial?

Trailady said...

Hi Nabeel, Yes, we buried our dear friend in a coffin my husband built and had a little funeral for her in the backyard.

She was a good friend to our entire family- especially in watching over the children while they played.