Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Philosophy of a "Genius"

I'm the kind of person who can strike up conversation with just about anyone. I was talking with a man recently who considers himself to be VERY wise. Some of his views I share, but many of his opinions made me feel ill inside. "All Muslims hate Americans. They have war in their blood and they will always do acts of violence" he said. "They are evil and they want us all dead". I told him that I have ethical, peace-loving Muslim friends and that I do not believe his philosophy. Yes, there are some extreme Islamic Terrorists, but there are many ethical, open-hearted Muslims out there who are seeking just like me. I love them. He then went on to say, "There is no salvation for those people". To which I said, "How can any of us judge?" God is love. That is what I know. He loves ALL people and He wants to give them peace in their hearts and a home in Paradise. God never stops inviting hearts to come to Him- even when man has given up on fellow man. This guy seemed to be very narrow-minded in his worldview. He doesn't have many friends for this reason and I felt very sad for him. He believes he will be in Heaven someday, but would he be happy in a place where love is the only rule? Gut check: would you or I??

Christian, let us not forget that we are sinners in need of Grace. Remember the Crusades of long ago? Who was the terrorist then?? The longer I live, I see the great wisdom in the words of Christ and a need for child-like humility and less finger-pointing. Put young children of all races & religious backgrounds on a playground and unless their heads are full of hateful agenda, they will play nicely together. You will see the little girls holding hands, you will see the Mexican high-5 with whites, Asians, African-americans. They are innocent and their worldview has not been distorted yet.
Jesus be-friended those people whom the religious of His day frowned upon. Remember the Samaritan woman, the Tax Collectors? Remember the Syro-phonecian lady? The (pagan) Roman centurion whose servant was dying? Think of the prostitute who fell under judgement at the feet of Jesus. He said, "The man who hasn't sinned can cast the first stone". Isn't it wonderful how the outcast women recognized the humble Christ. Those who reject the idea of a merciful God have not yet seen the depth of their own weakness.

Often in religion, we become barricaded behind ethnicity or this church sign or that. We never mingle outside our own small bubble. So we also become narrow-minded. We then say things like, "All non-whateverurchurchis are in the dark. They are slackers and they are lost." I hear things like this nearly every time I go to church. (This is a VERY narrow religious view- one I held for many years- because that's what I was taught.) God is my teacher now. He is bigger than all of us. He loves His children intensely- yes, even those who seem hopelessly lost. Often by our words and actions, we paint the heart of God as being very small. I must ask both myself and my philosophical friend, "Is there room in God's kingdom for an arrogant person with such outspoken prejudice?" Just thinking outloud here.

6 comments:

Trailady said...

Typhoon, Wow- I love the way you think!!

Brian, I hear you loud and clear. I guess in a way judgmental people offend me because I was one for many years...

Gingers Mom said...

Hey Trailady,

Thanks for your tip on Flylady. I signed up to be a member of her site and got over 20 emails the first day so I disenrolled and now I am just gonna go peruse her site. Yikes! But she has great ideas.

QUASAR9 said...

Hi Trailady,

whilst you are right, and your not so wise friend's fears are unfounded ...
fundamentalist Muslims do believe theirs is the true faith, and the whole world shall be Muslim
see koran

just like fundamentalist Jews believe they are the genetic inheritors of God's promise of dominion of other peoples & races
see Torah

and fundamentalist christians believe in The Kingdom of Christ
see revelation

However without adding to the complexity with yet more religions or philosophies ...
Just as you point out in your previous post that it is not what church you go to or Christian denomination you subscribe to

God will not ask Man (or Woman) which faith they subscribed to, or whether they followed certain Ritual or Customs, the letter of the law ...

But whether they held to the Spirit of the Law -

Think! Think!
can there be hate in heaven???
can there be greed in heaven???
can there be any of the 1001 human failings in heaven???

What makes heaven is perfection, there can be no human prejudices or human imperfections or human errors, biases or SINS in Heaven!

Else it would no longer be heaven. And when all these human failings are washed away - then Man Shall be able to claim heaven has been restored on Earth - and no sooner.

QUASAR9 said...

PS -
Genius does not equate to Wise
Learned does not equate to Wise
Cultured does not equate to Wise
Lawful does not equate to Wise
Love does not equate to wisdom

Some love to hate
Some love to harm
Some love to cause pain
Some love to see others in pain

billie said...

you give me hope that america is not a complete lost cause. thank you.

Trailady said...

Hey Kristin, I wrote you a reply on your blog. :o)

Quasar, Yes, thanks for mentioning the fact that Muslims also think they are the one true religion. I am inviting people from all religions to open up their thinking a bit and not be so separatist-minded. Rigid and radical mindsets lead to crusades and bombings. There has to be more than this!!! Your PS poem is true. What a deep thinker you are!

Hi Betmo, I don't think anything is a lost cause, but maybe I'm just young & stupid still. Someday that view may change, but I hold out hope that as long as we're breathing, things can change for the better. You sound weary. Don't give up your faith in all that is good. :o)