Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What is Love?

Love is a theme often contemplated. I believe it is the savor of life. I know it's not limited to a feeling, sometimes it boils down to a choice and sometimes that choice isn't easy to make.

If any of us were to experience real Love what would it be like? What does Love with hands & feet look like- how does it feel? Is Love so rare or is it simply hard to recognize & comprehend? Sometimes I feel it so strongly- when I hold a baby, see a little old man, or connect with someone. There is this beautiful energy inside me that I cannot explain, but it is powerful- there are moments when it nearly overwhelms me. I guess that's what the tears are for- to express what words cannot...

Scripture gives us beautiful guidelines about Love in 1 Corinthians 13. Patient, kind, understanding, optimistic, longsuffering, not prideful or self-serving.... Beautiful words about what love is like, but have we ever experienced this kind of Love? Are we able to offer it??

What I do know with all my heart is that Love is not distant, it should be intimate. Love is expressed in words, touch and actions. Love is fierce, yet fragile. It takes time and must be nurtured consistently or it fades like an unwatered rose.

The older I get, the more I begin to realize that Love is not a warm, flushed, fluttery feeling- although that can be a result of Love. I guess the die-hard romantic in me is gradually getting a more practical view of what it means to Love and be loved. It means doing things you don't feel like doing. It means providing for the needs of others. It means looking beyond faults and choosing to focus on strengths. It is forgiveness time and time again. It is setting aside your own desires in order to meet the needs of someone else. Love is not as exciting as I once thought it to be, but it is steady...

God, I want to love and be loved. Teach me how.

9 comments:

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Just wanted to be the first to leave a message. Thanks for the thoughts.

Royce said...

Yeah I agree absolutely, love is getting up at 3am for chicken strips and chocolate when your mate is pregnant. Or waking up every 4 hours for many, many weeks to give Barb medicine to keep her pre-term labor in check because I loved my little girl even if i had not met her yet. And I wanted her to have the best chance for a good life i could imagine.
There were no fluttery puppy love feelings in those situations, it was something MUCH deeper.
I still get the fluttery stuff when Barb kisses me good-bye to go to work, or when i see her in her silk nightgown, but mostly it's the deeper respect and love that guids us through the day.

Good post.

BrainSyke said...

thanks for sharing. you've had similar post every 2-3 months :-)

Trailady said...

Hi Gabrielle! :o)

Royce, yes- that's what I'm talking about. It's good for those fluttery feelings to resurrect once in a while...

Brainsyke, Yep, I love love- what can I say! Of all my readers, I think you've been around the longest. Thanks for stopping by. :o)

Sam!! said...

Llovely thoughts about love:) few days back i also placed a post on the same topic at my blog but really u described it really in a better way.

Thnx for sharing ur thoughts:)

Takecare.

QUASAR9 said...

Trailady sounds to me like you already know what love is and how to love - andyouare surrounded by love, but just in case you are feeling a bit short today, here ... here is a little bit more

Wishing you a love-ly evening. - Q

MovinMan said...

There is no "I" in LOVE.

Trailady said...

Hello Samrina! Thanks for dropping in. I really enjoy your blog! :o)

Thanks, Brian. Awwww shucks, ya made me blush! :o)

Quasar9, I'm learning more everyday. It is a good pursuit.

Karl, yep that's true. :o)

BrainSyke said...

may we keep sharing smiles and thoughts like this for many more months and years to come