Friday, August 11, 2006

Random Thoughts...

Glad a terror plot was foiled. What a big mess!! The next time 'Message of Mercy' flies anywhere, it's going to be VERY interesting to say the least. No liquids, no toiletries- YIKES!
Fuel is around $3.00 here- and according to a friend who was in Texas recently, it's $3.67 down there. Is there no mercy- even for your fellow Texans? Mr. Bush PLEASE put a cap on the gas prices! Just over two years ago it cost me around $28 to fill my van, now it's $60. My uncle once worked in the oil fields of Alaska and he said we have more crude than we know what to do with. Awwww, shucks, how 'bout we rustle up a few barrels of OUR OWN oil and lower the prices- eh? Funny coincidence that the pipes in Alaska have mysteriously corroded. I hate to be suspicious, but it's starting to look like all those accusations about you making decisions that benefit you and your oil buddies are true? With all due respect, have a heart, Mr. Bush and cut us all a break.

The last gift my husband gave me before he got fired was an Ipod. I am SO enjoying it! I like how it plugs directly into the CD player in my van- SWEET! I have a ton of great music. Some of it reflects where I've been. Other songs describe where I am, while my favorite songs are about who & where I want to be someday. Music has always been a powerful tool in my life, but WOW, it has really been making a difference for me lately. I enjoy writing music, but sometimes I just want to hear what someone else has to say:

Music from the past: I've been listening to tons of older stuff- reconnecting with who I was and what I felt when I was younger and happier. Mr. Mister's 'Broken Wings' and 'Kyrie', Kenny Loggins 'I'm Free', Michael W. Smith 'On The Othe Side', ''Secret Ambition', 'Place in this World'
Music for today: Evanescence 'Wake Me Up Inside', Giant 'I'm A Believer', Switchfoot 'Meant to Live', Roberta Flack 'People on A String', Simply Red 'If You Don't Know Me By Now', Bryan Adams 'Nothing I've Ever Known', Amy Grant 'What About the Love', Steven Curtis Chapman 'Be Still', Lyle Lovett 'Smile', Barlow Girl 'Never Alone', Moya Brennan's 'Two Horizons' project.
Music to shape my future: Switchfoot 'Dare You to Move', Amy Grant 'Lead Me On', Moya Brennan's 'Two Horizons' project, Leann Womack 'I Hope You Dance'. Garth Brooks 'Sail My Vessel'. Okay, it's probably going to sound really cheesy, but 'Climb Every Mountain' from The Sound of Music keeps going through my head these days... it's all good! :o)
(You can hear samples and purchase any of the songs I've listed here on iTunes)
Yes, I listed Moya twice. She's the older sister of Enya. They are both fantastic Irish musicians. To me, there's no language more beautiful than Gaelic. (Their names are actually spelled Maire and Eithne, but few knew how to pronounce, so they ended up changing them to more simple English forms.) Moya is a talented harpist. When I listen to her music, somehow I feel connected to something and I bask in my heritage. http://www.moyabrennan.com

I've learned a lesson. You cannot depend on anyone to make you happy. Not your spouse, your friends, not your church- each brings it's share of joy & frustration. Nobody can pull you out of depression. It's my problem, I take responsibility for finding a solution. I am determined NOT to let it have it's way with me. We have to learn how to connect with happiness by choosing to dwell on God's love. Whether you believe in Him or not, there is a force for good out there- I feel it. As Switchfoot so accurately says, "The shadow proves the sunshine".

For those concerned that I'm trying to start a rebellion against church and all things decent by writing this blog: I in NO way intend to set myself up as an example to follow. I'm simply recording thoughts, opinions and experiences- trying to make sense of my journey, feelings, needs and what I see going on around me- for what it's worth. I may not think like you- that's okay, because I allow you the right to think the way you do- we can agree to disagree. :o)
Well, it's after midnight- I need to get to bed. Now that my mind is settling down a bit, hope I can get my body back on a normal sleep schedule. Some really exciting things are happening in the near future- I am looking forward. Don't want to speak too soon, but I think I'm experiencing a miracle of healing in my heart. I'm holding onto hope!

13 comments:

How do we know said...

Hi! This is my first time here..and you have a nice, warm, positive kind of blog!! :-) Thank you!

Jody said...

I just had a similar conversation with someone yesterday about the oil fields in Alaska and the fact that the government isn't as concerned about oil reserves right now, but they want to have it fifty years from now and the only way they can think of doing that is to invade, occupy, and steal it.
I just sit back and relax. I had another conversation involving a Katrina victim yesterday revolving around homelessness and our desire to secure a home for ourselves for the future, but the only thing that separates us from people on the street is money in the bank, which can all go away so easily. We really can't put our faith and hope in other people or even ourselves, but it seems so easy to do in this part of the world where we enjoy so much excess.

To your point on moving on: I agree. I think moving on is the only direction we can move without hurting ourselves. It's so great to know that rough seasons pass!

billie said...

you should try clannad- it's enya's family band so to speak. they are fantastic too. i have all of enya's cds.

BrainSyke said...

US should just take over Pakistan, and Israel should occupy Syria and Lebenon. ...and when the men return from Iraq after raping and killing people mothers and sisters, we will hoist our flag in pride, and honor.

Gingers Mom said...

The gas prices are getting painful. I hope we can find a solution. I think President Bush is the man God had intended for our nation and I believe he DOES have the country's best interest at heart. Even if he has made some big mistakes.

MovinMan said...

I am no Bush lover. I think that he has done more to erode our constitutional protections than almost any president in recent history. However, I don't think that he is all to blame for the high gas prices. A few years ago there was a push to move into the North Alaska preserve to pump oil. Conservative estimates said that it could have provided all the fuel this nation needed for nearly a year. It was President Bush and the Republicans in Congress that were trying to do this for the American people. The Democrats in Congress killed it for fear that the pipeline from it might cause a few cariboo to be scared and stop mating. The assertion was also that it would ruin the pristine wilderness in the area. If you have seen pistures of where the drilling would have been, it was barely more hospitible than the surface of the moon. Again, I don't see G.W. as a saint by any means, but we need to spread the blame around.

Trailady said...

How Do We Know, Welcome and feel free to visit often. :o)

Jody, Yes, nothing is certain in this life. I really do feel like a season is passing for me. Yeah!

Betmo, Yes, thanks for mentioning Clannad. I actually found Moya & Enya because my family enjoyed Clannad. IMO, the band wasn't as good after Enya left, but still a lifelong favorite. :o)

Brainsyke, You're being sarcastic when you say we should invade- right? I hope the US has no plans to "take over" any other country. As far as I know, the plan is to get the job done and pull our troops out as soon as possible... I pray for peace so our soldiers can come home to their families. I don't know if there will ever BE peace. Terrorists are like insatiable bullies- if you try to ignore them they don't go away, if you attack back- it's "Game On", if you don't fight them they attack. We have a number of friends who are deployed at this time. Raping and killing do happen in times of war and peace. Sometimes the raping is done by one's own government. (Let us not forget that girls have been raped by their own policemen in the middle east in retaliation for a crime a male relative has committed.) Those who do these crimes Arab or American should be severely punished!! Most of the US troops are honorable men who are simply doing their duty. One of the girls in my class at the gym has a husband who is coming home after 2 yrs in Iraq. She is a kind-hearted woman with 2 babies to raise on her own while her man is away. I've seen her great loneliness and anxiety. Tears would well up at the mere mention of his name. Thankfully, he's coming home in 2 days and you should see how happy she is. I am happy FOR her. Justin is the kind of soldier who would put his life on the line and intervene if ever he saw such abuses by the military.

Kristin, I want to believe that Mr. Bush means well, I really do. I have spoken up for President Bush on many occasions, but it's getting harder to do these days. I believe in treating our leaders with respect- whether we agree with them or not. I do not support hating anyone.

Karl, you are correct to say the responsibility is upon the masses. But as our President, Mr. Bush DOES have the power to at least TRY to cap the gas prices. I want to see a cap, because honestly, I remember my parents having a fit because they had to pay $1 years ago. Never thought I'd see the day when it's over $3 for gas. What's next- $5?? Nobody is getting raises during this crisis in order to pay these higher prices. This is hurting American families and I haven't heard a single word of encouragement from Washington. If you know of an article or something that I would enjoy reading on this subject, please send me a link.
Yes, the EPA is heavily supported by Democrats and I see the value in what they're trying to do, but I believe at times, these environmentalists get WAY overboard. For example, locking someone up for 2 yrs because they crushed a nest of turtle eggs. Whether the egg was crushed by accident or on purpose, is a turtle egg more important than a human life?? I'm a political 'Independant' and I like it this way 'cause I vote for who I feel is the best man for the job, not tied down to one party or another. Good thoughts!! :o)

Roseuvsharon said...

I remember flying in early January of 2001. Airplanes were barely back up in the sky.

I was pumping breast milk for my newborn who refused to nurse properly. The security guards at the checkpoints said that either baby Matthew or myself would need to take a drink from each of the bottles, because I had asked that this not go through the xray machine. Matthew didn't mind taking a drink from each bottle, but he did mind when the guard said, that's enough, you can stop!

Trailady said...

Rose, Oh My!! What a crazy world we live in! ;o) ha ha

Wriju said...

"You cannot depend on anyone to make you happy" - so true :-)
But sometimes your happiness depends on someone else's happiness, doesn't it?

Your blog is so straight from the heart. Thank you so much for your comments on my blog.

Trailady said...

Wriju, I really meant it when I said you are a word magician. Your blog is enchanting!

Inheritor, I'm so happy to hear that you & the one you love are experiencing healing in your lives too.

Kellie, Hey girl! Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate your kind words. Hope all is going well for you. So nice to meet you recently! :o)

Known Stranger said...

so much pain every where.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

I've never thought that you were too negative about churches, or blaming them too much - an accusation of one of your commenters.