Thursday, August 03, 2006

Practical Jokes

I like to play jokes. Always liked the show 'Candid Camera', now there is 'Skunked TV'. I laugh till my sides ache! It's good not to take ourselves too seriously. In one prank, someone hides in a hole and they cover him with fishing net & trash. They scatter bottles and scrap metal on the beach, then recruit people to clean up the mess. A hidden camera captures the surprise as they go pick up trash around the net and something grabs them. Another prank is two people posing as officials giving out speeding tickets in a parking garage. Okay, people are driving very slowly in there, but who cares, they get a violation anyway. Even make one up, like 'Speedbump Clearance Violations'.
- One night I crawled under my roomates bed. She came in and when she sat down, I reached out & grabbed her by the ankles while growling. She screamed bloody murder and jumped around for about 5 minutes- really creeped her out! Hilarious!! (You DON'T even want to know what she did to me.)
- I was hall monitor with 3 other ladies in the dorm. The girls were being little Divas- ohhh the drama we put up with AND they would do stuff like steal our phones or hide in each others rooms so we had to do count several times before going off duty. One Sat. nite the Dean was gone, we informed the Assistent Dean of our plan. During late-night room check we put vasoline on their inside doorknobs- slicked 'em up real good! Then set off the fire alarms. 3 floors of half-asleep, panicky girls tried to open slick doors with no luck. We let them yell for about 5 mins., turned off the alarms, announcing on the PA "false alarm, go back to sleep".
- I often made treats for neighbors. Once I made cookies with lots of baking soda in them. Delivered them myself and sat there waiting for them to try the fresh cookies. They were eager at first, then tried to be polite- even though the salty/bitter taste was overwhelming. I encouraged them to eat that batch and call me as soon as they were gone so I could bring more. After a while, I called to ask how they liked the cookies. I said, "Hey, you never called, but I figured you were out by now, so I made you 2 dozen more of the same recipe." She stammered, trying to come up with a legit reason NOT to bring them over.
- A joke in our family was decorating the deer-head trophy in Grandpa's house with Grandma's big jewelry. Oh YES, the deer looked really sweet in big clip-on earrings, rings on it's antlers, a frilly scark around it's neck and a rose in it's mouth.

Things to consider when playing pranks:
1) Consider age, health & sense of humor of intended targets. Generally NOT a good idea to scare the elderly or mess with really serious people. Not a good idea to play a joke on your new boss. Never, never in church.
2) Make sure your joke won't seriously hurt any person or animal, or make someone sick.
3) Have a camcorder or camera on hand to capture the fun.
4) Don't pull pranks that will obviously hurt someone's feelings. Example, I never joke around with my Bubba teeth if someone present has bad teeth.
5) Use evenings or weekends- people are relaxed and have time to clean-up if it's messy. If you dump a bucket of water on your secretary, she's going to have to sit at her desk with bad hair and wet clothes all day- unless she has the best sense of humor ever- she will probably hate you.
6) A prank should stir somebody up- fluster them, but don't be cruel. Telling a mother her kids are missing or injured is NOT funny! Don't do anything with real body fluids- gross!!
7) Don't permanently damage property- clothing, car or home. Friends quickly turn into enemies this way.
8) Safest bets are wild scenarios, making mystery sounds, funny smells that will go away and bad tastes.
9) Pick someone to prank who isn't obviously in a hurry- they get ticked off easily.
10) Don't take it too far! If it's obvious the target of your humor is seriously upset, admit it's a joke & apologize.
11) If you play a joke on someone, they may play one on you. Be a good sport. Don't dish it out if you can't take it.
12) Whenever possible, make a fool of yourself, instead of someone else. I do this well & enjoy the reactions I get.

What was your best prank ever? Was a joke ever played on you?? :o)

16 comments:

Jody said...

this morning I came into my office and turned my desk lamp on, but it didn't turn on. I unscrewed the light bulb but it didn't appear burnt out. I checked the cord and sure enough it was unplugged. I assumed our IT guy was messing with stuff and got frustrated with the cord- he's like that. Later, I looked on my wall and my Idaho license plate was turned upside down. I asked my co-workers what they did and they started laughing. They unplugged my lamp! And they "re-arranged" some brochures on my wall which were in no particular order anyway. So their prank sort of failed but it was still funny and I was flattered they think I have a sense of humor.
My best prank ever was in college. We wanted to get back at our guy friends for giving us girls a gift bag with a frozen fish inside. They had the camera poised and were sorely disappointed when we didn't scream. Later, my roommate came home and didn't have her glasses on. She picked up the fish and screamed- but they weren't there to see it.
So we went to their house months later one night, and they were playing video games and had loud music on so my friends and I stole their microwave and hid it in the trunk, fully expecting them to notice before we left.
They didn't.
They didn't notice for24 hours. when they did notice, they called 911 and said, "this is not an emergency, but someone stole our microwave. Can you connect us to the police department."
The dispatcher said, "OMG- i'll have someone over there is 5 minutes!"
The police took fingerprints and told our friends they would never see their microwave again. This made them sad because they couldn't afford another one and they didn't know how to cook.
So we kept it for a week and then invited them over for a steak dinner. BEfore they came over we took a picture of ourselves with the microwave and presented it to them before dinner. They were so mad but they laughed. they were mostly upset that a bunch of girls one-upped them.

Tim Rice said...

You sound like a real character and fun person to be around. But I would have to keep my eyes open. ;)

I don't think I have too many pranks played on me recently other than my sixth grade Sunday School students all trying to hide so that I think none of them showed up. It was small class so they didn't have to find too many places to hide.

Gingers Mom said...

I think practical jokes are funny, when they happen to other people. I get REALLY embarrassed about it when it happens to me. Painfully so. Hee hee

billie said...

i was in the shower and my roommate decided to get the floor together and play a joke on me. they took all of my clothes and towel and left me with a washcloth. they then waited outside the bathroom to see what i would do. i did have a moment of thinking i could just streak across the hall to my room- and decided not to. i took down the shower curtain and dripping wet- i went to go to my room. there were several disappointed young men that day and i wasn't all that thrilled with my roommate. i didn't get her back because i felt her life was payback enough- she had an eating disorder.

Trailady said...

Hi Jody, some pranks are more subtle than others, but still fun. :o)

Tim, you're such a nice guy, why, I'll bet you never pranked anyone... ;o)

Kristen, I'd love to see you blush!

Betmo, When I was in high-school, it was an initiation for Senior girls to grab, pin & strip Freshman girls in public to humiliate them. They got a hold of my little friend Crystal who wasn't even 5' yet and ripped her shirt & pants off. But when they came for me, I put up such a fight, they ended up leaving me alone. I bloodied the nose of one girl and they decided they weren't having much fun. Served them right! Been there, done that with the eating disorder and NO, it's not fun! :o(

Nabeel said...

awww cool .. but see I like to play pranks too .. but my pranks go too far .. like the whole idea is not just a little prank but when I play pranks on someone .. i make it drastic so that they'd remember .. hence many dislike it .. hence i stopped :(

Trailady said...

Well, that's a bummer, Nabeel!! I'm sure with your sense of humor you could come up with some really good pranks! :o)

FM said...

nice blog..

first time i am here...

hope to hit back soon

you are also welcome at my end.

http://fmrocks.wordpress.com Thanks.

with regards
fM

billie said...

hey tl- no joke this time- i tagged you at my site. i hope that you don't mind. :)

Known Stranger said...

jokes at the cost of others ? how about that

QUASAR9 said...

I'm surprised you didn't suggest the least the boss should do is give the secretary a day off and pay the cab fare.

Not keen on being the butt of others' jokes, therefore it is wise for others not to make me the butt of their jokes, they can boomerang.

About other people's kids. I was doing parascending once, ans some woman with her kid decided she wanted the very spot on the beach where we were doing our landings. She insisted we would have to move as we were a risk to her children. Now since people were trusting me with their lifes, tying them to 250m of rope and flying them around the bay at 150m altitude, I pointed out to the young lady that just as I trust someone is watching me watching over them, if she were to put her trust in the One I trusted, shewould not need fear for her children ftom me, ...

Slightly taken aback, the best comeback she could muster were some ininteligible and barely audible mutterings.

Hoping my wishes to you yesterday weren't misinterpreted as a joke in bad taste, but your stories just made me want to reach out. Some people write about sadness and misery hoping for sympathy. You write about joy and boundless energy with both feet firmly on the ground or realm of reality. if I can be of any value, let it be that I raise your spirits just a touch to help you carry your load, yes even your washing load, just that little lighter

Here's hoping you are having a not too bad, or even better weekend.
All the best. Q aka Jon Quinn from somewhere not far at all at all from Eire. lol!

Strictly for my friends said...

I thought your pranks were just brilliant!! And the guidelines! Will definitely try one on my colleagues!

Roseuvsharon said...

pathfinder campout
boys in one room from our group
girls in the other end of the cabin
we took a hair clip and used the ends of it to make a "mark" on one of the girls legs. She went out to get water and started "screaming" that she had been bitten by a snake.

While all the boys came out of their end of the cabin to check on our "victim," some of us girls remained inside and messed with the boys' sleeping bags and clothes.

Final surprise was for 9 year old me to hide in one of the sleeping bags.

This was all my mom's idea, and she is full of many more. You'd love to swap stories with her, I'm sure.

Trailady said...

FM, thanks for stopping by, visit anytime. :o)

Betmo, thanks for flagging me, I need to update my favorites- bigtime!!

Known Stranger, I do not advocate playing pranks on people with no sense of humor- this would only serve to irritate them. It's only fun, if they can laugh about it too.

Quasar9, I'm not easily offended, so no worries. Thanks for writing and I'm glad to have met you in the blogoshere. :o)

Hello to everyone else who commented- I am a bit rushed, but know that I read every comment & enjoy. :o) Hillbilly lingo- great idea! Clever to use a clip to make fake snakebite marks. ha ha

Trailady said...

PS. Quasar, I feel I need to say that I have written my share of painful posts- not for sympathy, but to clear my head and sort things through. I believe in being open about our joys & blessings as well as our sorrows...

QUASAR9 said...

Glad to meet you too Trail lady!