Thursday, August 10, 2006

Whoo-hooo!

Well, it's another one of those days where I feel pretty good! These are happening more and more frequently- think I just may be coming out of depression. :o) Still reeling from recent changes, but I'm finding myself again and gradually parting ways with the stranger I've been for the last 8 years.

Today I had an interview at the YMCA and was hired on in a new capacity. The interview took over an hour, as it seemed they just wanted to chat with me. Regrettably, they have no Full or Part Time positions available at this time, but I am now officially a 'Fitness Floater'. This is a new nitch in the industry for people like me who are qualified to work in more than one area. You are called in to sub on a regular basis and today I got worked in as a Floater for the Front Desk. The schedule is flexible and constantly changing. It will keep me on my toes! This works well for me as I am easily bored and love to work with a variety of people. (I can do routines, but not ruts.) My earning potential has just majorly gone up and I'm still in charge- kind of like an independant contractor. When they need a sub, they call me, I check my family/performance schedule and decide if I can do it or not. I start my training next week. :o) After a decade of being a full-time housewife, doing odd & end jobs for pocket change, it feels good to get a regular paycheck.

I've had Plantar Faciitis for the past 2 wks. Never happened before, so wasn't sure why I had such terrible heel pain- especially in the mornings. Anyway, I have really high arches and teaching 15 classes in one week on the hardwood floor in bad shoes stressed a ligament on the bottom of my foot. My boss was distraught when I told her about my foot, because she felt responsible for having me teach that many times in one week. She said it will never happen again. I've been resting/icing it and backed it down a little as far as my activitiy level and now I'm doing MUCH better. Should be back to normal for next week. From now on, while I blog I'll be rolling a cold pop bottle under my foot. (Feels good- you should try it.)

2 of my kids start school on Monday. Hard to believe! Summer has gone by SO fast! They are growing like weeds!! The other 2 (Oldest & youngest) are doing homeschool. This will probably be my last year of homeschooling, but I'm determined to teach my baby how to read before sending her off to school.

I drove home listening to great music. The sun is out, the clouds are fluffy against a blue sky, the grass is green and I feel so alive. Yep, it's a great day!!

8 comments:

Trailady said...

Hi Brian,

In answer to your question, homeschooling is quite flexible. You are required to do at least 4 hours a day. I generally get my kids set up at the kitchen table with thier books and give them assignments. When they complete the assignments, I grade them and we move on to the next subject. My oldest daughter is doing her school online this year. The nearest middle school in our county is 30 minutes away and there is no bus service for us. We'd have to get up at 4:30am every morning to get her to school on time. So we gave her a choice and she chose to stay home this year.
My youngest is pretty easy, color pictures, draw shapes, trace some numbers and letters, sound out words. If I have to sub in the morning, we do school in the afternoon, or the other way around. It works out well. :o)

Andy said...

Good stuff, TL. Nice to see that things are looking up for you. God's awesome that way, and truly blesses those who stay strong in Him. Clearly, He is blessing you and your family!!!

QUASAR9 said...

lol! I can visualize you blogging and rolling that cold bottle.

It just appeals to my sense of humour. Sounds so good I'm thinking of trying it, just because

I love the title of the post.
Wishing you a relaxing evening ...
rolling that bottle under your feet
Is that like rock'n'roll. lol!

Gingers Mom said...

Wow...how old is your youngest? Congrats on your new job. That must feel great! I know being at home is the best thing you can do as a mom, but it must be great to get back out there after all those years of devoted work.

Trailady said...

Hi Andy, Thanks for all the words of encouragement along the way... :o)

Quasar9, Actually, it feels great, but it looks kinda stupid. Oh YES, everybody should have a cold Coke bottle to roll underfoot. You get one too and maybe we'll start a trend- how 'bout it?! LOL

Hey Kristen, My youngest daughter is 5 AND 1/2. DON'T ever forget to add the 1/2 and 3/4- they consider that an insult. ha ha Actually, I'm really thrilled to get back out there and get involved with the world around me. I'll always have good memories of staying home with my kids- I gave it a really good run, but now it's time to get a little of ME back and start moving this family forward toward better financial stability. I feel very fortunate to have been able to ease back in gradually rather than having to leave them all at once. After 11 yrs in virtual seclusion, my mind began to feel dull and I felt nobody regarded me as able to do anything but change diapers. Part of my identity will always be about my family, but to get back out there and find myself is a great feeling! :o)

Nabeel said...

awwwww .. congratulations at ur new job. What's a fitness floater? Yes your job sounds fun and I bet you are a friendly person (you sound like one) .. and your co-workers will be happy to have you around.

I know @ summer has gone .. did you do the back to school shopping for the kids? New pencil box .. new lunch box .. new bag and everything :)

Trailady said...

Hi Nabeel,

Yes, everything is done and they went back to school today. (sigh) I always feel mixed emotions. One year a raging man with a gun entered my children's school building. They were able to talk him out without anyone getting hurt, but my kids were hiding under desks for 2 hours. Scary!! I thank God for protecting everyone in that building. It will probably not happen again, but it does make you a little nervous ever after...

Thanks, and yes, I am very much a people-person. :o)

Trailady said...

PS. A Fitness Floater is someone who has the skills to work in many areas of the Fitness Industry. Floaters have to be flexible and able to teach a variety of fitness classes, do Personal Training, Sports Nutritionist AND front desk, etc.