Thursday, January 19, 2006

Essentials...

What are the essentials to the Christian life? There are SO MANY views out there! However, God allows freedom for people to have different opinions and I must respect that. What good is debating and arguing? Whenever I engage in it, I set myself up as an authority. Why act like squabbling children when the Bible says we should strive for unity, refraining from stirring up discord among the brethren? Who are the Brethren?? For many years, my idea of 'the Brethren' was only those active within my particular denomination. However, I find Jesus saying, "Many sheep have I that are not of this fold". Any believer in Christ is now among my Brethren and as such, deserves my respect. The Spirit will teach, instruct, maturing the seeker in due time...
Paul wrote, "One thing I know, Christ and Him crucified". This is ESSENTIAL to the Christian faith. Without the Crucified Christ as the heart of our message, we are just another group of people with a prophet. Muslims, Mormans and Buddhists each have a prophet. There are some gray areas that are NOT essential to Salvation. Too many times, we try to make them essential. For example, I'm primarily vegetarian- scientifically it makes sense. However, there's no clear command in the Bible for it. God gave clean meat to man for food after the flood. In Matt. 15:17-20, Jesus said, "It's not what goes into a man's body that defiles for it is digested and goes out of him. The words and actions of a man are what defile him." 1 Cor. 10:27-33, Paul says, "Eat whatever is set before you with gratitude asking no question for conscience sake... whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or Greeks or to the Church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many who may be saved." The foolish man builds his house on the shifting sands of human thought, trend and opinion. Yes there are trends within churches that are not necessarily Biblical. The wise man builds on The Rock of Ages. Christ is unchangeable Truth- a Firm Foundation. Love is an essential belief that we must practice and love means forgiveness and respect. Therefore let all practice the motto of the early church: In Essentials Unity, In Non-essentials Liberty, In All things Charity.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trailady, I wasnt sure at first if I liked your blog but I really do. You are a thoughtful person and dont come across as a bunch of hot air. Yes Jesus is everything. He is leading me. And Jesus fed people fish so it cant be a sin to eat it. Jews in that time ate lambs, cows and chickens. Im sure he ate that too.

BrainSyke said...

I cant speak for a christian.but knowing only what I know so far about us all...We set ourselves apart by believing in One God, respecting the same series of messengers of God, and following the teaching of them all.

We are a nation apart from the rest - a nation under One God. It is not just belif, but the actions that truely set us all apart. ...I've been an atheist for some time, a long time ago...

I'll tell you. I think, its quite amazing, isnt it?

Royce said...

Crazy about the gunman in your kids school, I'm glad they were ok. meth is an eppidemic here I hate it.

Roseuvsharon said...

In what you have said regarding unity in the only most important things, and the rest can be worked out. I agree, however, there are some people who think that unity means uniformity. We all have to be exactly alike. We all have to agree. How can we help people to see that God can use each of us wherever we are at, whether we eat a vegetarian or a vegan or an Atkins diet or whatever? I'd love to hear some thoughts on this as it has come up often recently in our church.

Anonymous said...

Hey, i love your blog and your tribute to dr king was inspiring and thought provoking. Thanks for creating such an awesome place on the web.

-Alex

Trailady said...

Good thoughts everyone! I believe in unity, but NOT uniformity. Gangs have uniformity- look the same, talk the same lingo. The flowers of the field are ALL flowers, but different colors, different shapes, etc. I think it's beautiful that way. People are the similar in variety of shapes & color. Likewise, all believers don't look or function the same, but we believe in the same God, the same cross, receive the same Salvation and we will share the same Heaven. Unless we first seek to bond with people in the essentials we have in common, we will have far less opportunity to share our thoughts on doctrines we do not hold in common. Respect is key. Often we only respect those who agree with us or believe the same, but I don't see that as the mind of Christ.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

I agree that every day we are encountering those who are the sheep who are not of the fold.

Let's face it - organized church remains a man-made organization and not a true depiction of the body of Christ reaching out.

I am so sick of the chasm.