Monday, January 09, 2006

Gotta Love Insurance!

It's like a big, green morph-monster that I don't understand- especially medical insurance! Just when you think you have your policy all figured out, it changes and leaves you frantically doing research on your cell phone by the side of the road to re-learn what is and isn't covered. My kids were supposed to start their new school today, but only after they had physicals this morning. (YES, they just had those last year, but this school requires them to have them again this year.) So we all get up early and show up for their appointments. As I'm signing in, the receptionist asks me if the kids are sick. I told her they weren't they just needed school check-ups. She then let me know those exams are no longer billed to insurance and that it would be a $90 office visit for each child. Okay, I was prepared to pay a $15 co-pay, NOT $180! Yikes! I asked her if she was sure our carrier wouldn't cover it. She said to call the 1-800 number on my card to see and sent us home. So out of the office we went, out to the van where I dial the number and wait on hold for 15 mins. just to find out that- sure enough, our insurance doesn't cover school physicals now. Isn't this fun? NOT! I then drove to 2 other clinics to see if we could work something out, but NOPE. So, needless to say the kids are happy to have one extra day of vacation. Thankfully, I was able to find a Dr. friend who will see them this evening. Few things in this life are certain, but death, taxes and coverage changes are. Insurance. Can't figure it out, can't live without it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's another one of the "barrels" our society can hang you over. The terrible thing is I can see both sides. Those who refuse to get insurance expect everyone else to cover for them, while those who pay the premiums may never see anything come of their investment. If there's a better way, someone needs to find it. But don't leave it to a politician...

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I hear ya on that one. What a pain and yet, gotta have it!