Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Spotting the Phonies...

Why do people stomp on dreams? I love to share ideas and goals with those who call themselves friends & family. Why is it that so often when I do, someone feels it their "duty" to present any and all reasons why the idea won't work? Talk about raining on the parade! There are many who call themselves "Realists", but in actuality they are pessimists in denial. Do they think it makes them smart to be able to point out all the reasons why something won't work? I don't like negativity- it brings me down. Yes, I love these people- they are still my friends & family, but why be so down all the time? Life has beat me up just as much as anyone else! My way of survival, of getting back on my feet is to remain hopeful and keep movin' on.
Another thing I don't understand is when people act like they know everything on any given topic. I haven't wasted 11 yrs as a stay-home Mom. I do TONS of reading, study & research. It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't really know what they're talking about- they just like to look good & sound intellectual. I DON'T know everything either, but I know enough that I can usually tell when someone really knows what they're talking about and when they're just bluffing. I have an inquisitive mind, so I read up on lots of interesting things. It bugs me when, during casual conversation, I say something and someone in the room says "Well, no- it's this way..." Even though I just read the opposite of what they're saying, out of respect, I act surprised and say, "Oh really? I never heard that." Why argue with them? This is especially interesting when the one "correcting" me hasn't had as much experience with kids, horses, dogs or fitness- yet wants to set ME straight. There are few things that get on my nerves- but this does. Well, it got me to thinking... people can spot a real Christian and can just as easily identify a "blow-hard" that spouts Christian lingo, but really doesn't KNOW God. Is it any wonder that putting on a Christian front annoys people? If we spend time with God and get to know Him, we will be like Him. He is kind, positive, patient, gentle, lowly in heart. He's a servant, a friend that is closer than a brother. People should get good vibes from us- if not, perhaps something's wrong. The Bible says, "Encourage one another and build each other up". As we study Christ, we will become more genuine. This is my goal- to walk the walk and be real.

16 comments:

BrainSyke said...

oh i know waht you mean....those people either lack vision, or courage. Some people presume that their experience is ultimate and full. I caution myself whenever I find myself approaching such language. I hope I dont do that.

As a consultant, i must admit, I have put myself in the habbit of a bit of BS (not lies), but greasing the clinet-consultant relationship language. LOL

Anonymous said...

Good post. Im wondering what else gets on your nerves? Sure there is more than this. Im pretty easy to get along with as long as my boundarys are respected.

Trailady said...

Hey Sloopy! Hope you're feeling better now. Hmmm, that's a hard one. Okay here are the other things that get on my nerves:
1) Abuse & cruelty in any form to human, animal or environment
2) Proud or Prejudice Attitudes
3) Religious/Political Fanaticism
4) Someone scratching their dirty feet, armpit or behind- gross!
5) Complaining without trying to solve the problem
6) Criticism for no just reason

Unknown said...

Imagine of the apostles were so called realists?

Anonymous said...

Maybe these 'people' "that rain on your parade" care enough for you they try to share something with you so that you won't get hurt when what your dream may not be able to happen? It's not necessarily a negative thing. Not everyone who shares some info with you on why something may not be able to happen is trying to beat up on you.

Reading and research is great, keep it up, it's great for the brain, but some folks who have 'experienced' something you haven't and you have only read about really may know something and have good reason to say, "Well, no - it's this way..."

Trailady said...

I hear what you're saying, 'Anonymous'. What I'm saying is if I don't know about something, I don't talk about it as if I do. I don't go around correcting people or raining on their parades & I deserve the same treatment. I understand & respect someone who REALLY knows what they're talking about and I learn a lot from them, but a lot of people are just venting hot air. If I took all the "helpful" advice I've been given over the years, I wouldn't have a college degree, I wouldn't be married to my wonderful husband, I wouldn't have 4 kids, I wouldn't be pursuing music, and I wouldn't be a Christian. Optimism and determination can go a long way toward realizing a dream. It pays to think, experience & research for myself!! I've taken some hard knocks- that's the risk of having a dream, but I'm proud of those battle scars and I don't want to be shot down before I even try something.

Anonymous said...

Hey my names not on your list, you mean I dont get on your nerves? I guess that good! On the contrary when people care about you, they listen to your ideas and support your dreams. They shouldnt shoot you down before you even get off the runway. I know what you are saying Trailady! Some in laws are that way. Bossy and know everything. No matter what you say, they know better. Its enough to drive ya crazy!

Gingers Mom said...

I really like your blog. How refreshing to see someone ACTUALLY talking about God with a real relationship with Him. I know exactly what you mean. Everyone wants to seem intelligent and informed. And in my experiece, love to look down on stay at home moms as ignorant. We know better. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hate it when people with NO kids try to tell me how to raise mine. As if they even have a CLUE!

David said...

There sure is a lot of hate here! I'm with Sloopy, I sure hope I never get on your nerves!
Thanks for the great posts and unpretentiousness. I know some people who know it all. I'm one of them! I just hate it when I do that. Just please be lenient with me. Jesus loves know-it-alls too!

Trailady said...

David, I don't percieve you as a know-it-all. You are a seeker. :o)

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Hi Trailady - I enjoy your views. Man, people, don't get offended.

You don't like it either when people come in all hot and heavy that you're wrong about something that is your dream.

It's just a comment about the danger of pride and even cynicism - when someone doesn't even want you to experience your dreams.

David said...

I was just playing around a little. I don't mean its OK to let people walk all over another's or one's own dreams and plans. That's never right. But we can always use a little humbling and it seems there is no want of people who will do that for us in this great world of sin we inhabit.
But Jesus is the ultimate in having dreams and plans squashed. His biggest dream was to have a human friend who would understand Him. John came the closest, but only at the very end. The Lord was a Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief, and we will find our greatest joy only in experiencing His sorrows and griefs. After repeated abuse, He kept on loving His enemies.

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Let's love our troublemakers.

Anonymous said...

Nobody's hating anyone here. Just expressing frustration toward certain things people do. We need to love our enemies, but that does not mean we have to like everything they do or can't say when things get on our nerves.

Anonymous said...

I appreciated your comments, Paula. You express things aloud, or written down, that I never exactly said to myself or anyone, but totally agree when I read them!

The SSP said...

How do trailady, just read this post and am sorry to hear you feel like people in your life are'a bringin' ya down. Although I'd have to agree with Anon and maybe they care for you enough they really don't want to see you get hurt. Maybe if the thoughts shared were seen from that perspective it might feel more caring than 'tearing,' ya know??!! :)

Anyway - hope you work through it cuz y'all are great! :)