Wednesday, January 18, 2006

God Uses Imperfect People...

There is no room in my heart for prejudice. I lived in the projects. I know what it's like to be disrespected and called 'white trash'. I've seen first-hand what hatred does between whites who look down on blacks and blacks who hate them in return for doing so. It really bothered me to hear people call my friends & neighbors "niggers". They bled, they loved, they laughed and they hurt the same as me. I remember how the school bus would practically pick the rich white kids up at their front door, while the project kids had to walk 5 blocks and stand in the northeastern cold to catch a ride. I know what it's like to be a minority white. The last year we lived in the project, I practically had to stay locked in the apartment for fear of being raped. A gang of teens had made threats & bets on who would be the first to "nail" the red head. I witnessed injustice & hoplessness, the tragedies of drug addiction, premature sexual activity and domestic violence. NOT pretty!
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. saw it too and it broke his heart. He had a dream and he wasn't afraid to share it. Though he had weaknesses and was far from being a perfect man, God used Martin to spread the message of freedom, peace and equality. It wasn't an easy task and in the end, like Jesus Christ, Dr. King gave his life for the cause he was so passionate about. I have the greatest respect for this man who refused to fight back- even when he was sorely beaten and abused. Love is stronger than hate. Today, we sit in restaurants, ride buses, shop and go to church with African Americans- it's a beautiful thing! Does prejudice still exist? Yes, in the hearts of some whites and blacks alike, but overall, I believe the dream has been realized...
God uses imperfect people. He takes broken vessels and allows His love to flow out from them. There is still hope for me...
Click the link for a brief word of inspiration from the great man himself: http://www.thekingcenter.org

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post. I never would guess you were from a poor background. I still struggle sometimes with feeling inferior to others. Race, class or work puts us on diffrent levels. Truth is we are all the same inside!