Sunday, January 01, 2006

Sailing On...

I feel tremendously privileged to be sailing into a new year with my man. 2006- bring it on! I'm a dreamer, an optimist- always have been- despite the many challenges life has presented. My creative, romantic, passionate nature makes me the kind of girl who is constantly looking ahead, thinking of the future and all it's possibilities. We've been married nearly 13 yrs now and I've spent half my life with my special guy. We had a rough start to be sure! At times it felt like we were heading more for Gilligan's Island than for Fantasy Island. We have hit some major storms along this voyage called "marriage". Sometimes life just took the wind out of our sails and we wondered if we should start bailing, but we stayed the course and overall it's been pretty good!
It didn't take long to realize I married a laid back, practical man who is very content and comfortable in the present. There was a span of time when he resented me for being a visionary and I resented him for approaching life with passiveness and reservation. (simple personality conflict) However, having navigated our crew & cargo through a rough 2005, we have come to see our relationship as a fine vessel. Lighthearted, adaptable and adventurous, I am the sail- always in the mood to catch the wind- just to see where it goes. My man is the ship itself- a solid, steady platform with ballast & rudder giving me balance, direction and something to hang on to. A sail without a ship is useless- a ship with no sail wouldn't get anywhere. So, we NEED each other. Yeah, I could've married a fun-loving dreamer like me, but which of us would have sacrificed our dream to make that of the other come true? He could have married a completely practical, timid person, but he would have been totally BORED with her. I can honestly say I love my husband more now than I did when we first said "I do". Both of us have changed for the better because of this relationship. We are just now "hitting our stride" and having made it through the 'Diaper Decade' intact, perhaps the future still has some great adventures in store for me and my first mate....

5 comments:

Shelly Hanson said...

That was beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful way to look at your relationship. I need to remember that when I'm frustrated with my life with my DH.

Thank you

Unknown said...

That is a great post. As I am learning, every relationship has ups and downs and committment to stick it out is key. Thanks.

David said...

Real nice comparison. Obviously in love! Life isn't a goal, its an adventure, isn't it. Everyone is in their own rock tumbler. They go in with a bunch of other mishapen, sharp, and not-so-pretty rocks. Some grit is added and then the tumbler is started. We bump against each other, with the grit to soften the blows, and as long as we stay in the tumbler, we eventually come out nice and shiny. And it always takes time. I think, even if we've chosen to get out of the tumbler, if we ask, the opportunity will come along to get back in again, and go around and around, bumping and forgiving and asking for forgiveness and enjoying the ride. :)

David said...

Oh, and about that first mate of yours! I thought you were supposed to be his first mate!

Always a friend,
David

Trailady said...

Hi David, I use the term "first mate" because he is my first and only mate, not meaning he is second in command. God is the captain of our ship, so I didn't want to call him that either. LOL I like your rock tumbler analogy! :o)