Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Knowledge -vs- Wisdom

When I was a kid, I loved watching WWF (World Wrestling Federation). My brother and I would stay up late Sat. nights to see our favorite guys, Hulk Hogan, Rowdy Roddy Piper & Jake the Snake do their thing in the ring. I thought all the moves I saw were the REAL deal. I remember the first time somebody told me the WWF was staged. I was pretty upset! Instead of pile-driving the kid or hitting him with a flying mare- I argued pretty strongly that it was legit. You see, I had a pretty good knowledge of wrestling, but no wisdom. Oh well..... live and learn..... There's a difference between knowledge & wisdom. These two elements like to have wrestling matches in my head. It is possible to have a TON of knowledge about something and not truly understand it. Many people get degrees in Theology or do their own study and think themselves wise. Sure, they have a lot of Biblical facts and doctrinal proof-texts, they may know the Greek meaning behind many words- that's helpful. But without wisdom, what good is all the information? It will just make one over-confident in their wealth of knowledge. Yep- that was me! Totally cocky with a head full of ammo for my doctrine gun and a heart to put anyone who didn't agree with me in a theoretical headlock- 'til they gave in to my "superior" thinking. I had little understanding about Who Jesus Christ REALLY IS. I couldn't see God's plan for my life, because I was too busy making up my own strategies. Worst of all, I could debate religion, but really didn't know how to love people- ALL people, not just those in my own little circle.
God has been patient with me. He brought me to a point where I let go of my focus on knowledge, in order to gain wisdom. In the humbling process, I have fallen in love with the simplicity of a down-to-earth Savior. God loves to reveal hidden things to the seeker. Those who admit they are poor spiritually and in need of wisdom will be filled. Keep asking, seeking, knocking... Many of the well-learned think they already have everything figured out- no need to question, no need to empty themselves of pre-conceived ideas in order to be taught by the Holy Spirit. The more I learn, the less I know. GOD TRULY IS A MYSTERY!
Psalm 111:10 "Reverence for The Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who practice it will have a good understanding..."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good I didnt know you back then or I probly wouldnt have liked you. Nobody likes a goody goody know-it-all, except for other goody goody know-it-alls. Even then its doubtful cuz most of that type are too stuck on themselves.

BrainSyke said...

There is no such thing as "know it all" for. You have beautifully pointed out that it is not about knowing a lot, but being wise with whatever you have/ know. The solution to any problem is the distance between your forehead and the ground you stand upon; i.e prayer.

Anonymous said...

A parrot can be taught a lot of information. It will repeat back words it's been taught, and in doing so sound pretty intelligent. I think there are too many spiritual parrots. They can recite the latest thing that Joe Bible Teacher says, but there's no depth of understanding there. I want to continue learning what you're learning Trailady. I want to become intimate with the Source of Wisdom.

Royce said...

So forgive me for not remembering the specifics on this story but I read it long ago. There was a man who wished to be a Jesuit priest, he studied, slaved and devoted his life to the teachings, only to be denied because he did not meet the height requirement, ( I don't know much about Jesuits, I don't know if this practice is still upheld ), he pleaded with the order to let him in, so to get rid of him they told him to memorize the bible. HE DID. It took years. And they let him in, he memorized the whole bible and didn't come to the conclusion that God never set a height requirement on worship.

Royce said...

hey I just went to your link www. getupout.biz or something like that, and WOW people had their brains sucked out, I put some stuff on my site that is weird and gross all at the same time for shock effect, But man that was a town full of tone deaf people, almost like they were....artificially animated, puppets. weird

David said...

I like to think I "was" a Bible know-it-all and now I'm not, but I don't think its all out of me yet. All I know is Jesus loved Pharisees too, and when I found that out, I saw I was one of them and I began my slow journey away from being one. His love is the only remedy to sin in all its forms. Saul of Tarsus, Simon (who gave the feast to Jesus), pretty much all the disciples, Nicodemus, and many unnamed folks were Pharisees Jesus won to the truth. So I have good company. I just pray Jesus can use me, and that I learn more and more about His love that caught my attention, and life has never been the same since.

Trailady said...

David, You are 100% correct. Jesus does love pharisees. We see Him rebuke them in the Gospels, yet He repeatedly reaches out to them. See my post (God Loves Pharisees) in the archives. Jesus loves ALL- open sinners AND pharisees. As sinners saved by Grace, we can do no less. I, like Paul am a recovering pharisee and this is my journey toward The Light. I'm weak and clumsy. I stumble often, but Jesus never lets go of me. He is a friend who never gives up on me. :o)

Trailady said...

Hi Royce, That is a powerful example of how we can have knowledge without wisdom. Good comment! PS. Glad you enjoyed the great 'Talent Show'. LOL