Monday, January 09, 2006

The Greater Miracle...

I'll be the first to admit I can be pretty dense, but I recently had what I call a breakthrough experience. There were a LOT of heavy stress factors in our lives- mainly financially. (We are a family of 6 living on 1 modest income.) Both vehicles had been in the shop, my man was away on a trip, the heater went out, Christmas was coming and I couldn't sleep. I kept brain-storming for solutions and begging for God to work a miracle. I wanted Him to come through BIGTIME and deliver us out of our troubles- knowing He is fully capable of doing so. I wanted a big check to come in the mail unexpectedly and solve all our financial problems. I wanted all the stress factors in our lives to suddenly turn for our benefit. It was not meant to be... weeks later I was still facing the same burdens when I got up every morning. I was pretty frustrated, but continued to ask for a big miracle. Why was God not answering? Couldn't He see how discouraged I was feeling?? Suddenly, I felt a peace come over me and the Spirit spoke to my heart saying, "Obvious, direct answers to prayer are not the greatest manifestations of God's strength. Just getting you through each day is no less a miracle. Every day you get up, put one foot in front of the other and find something to smile about IS the greater miracle." Okay, not the easy way out I was looking for, but true! Women in labor cry out to the Lord to take away the pain- He could do that in the blink of an eye, but the biggest miracle is helping her endure the suffering to bring a new life into the world. Just when she thinks she can't take it anymore and gets pretty verbal about letting everyone know, the baby is born and it's all over. Day by agonizing day, I waited, then little changes began to take place- our situation began to improve. We are now on the other side of that hurdle and I will be pondering this new realization for a while. :o) Next time I'm in a tough situation, before I pray for deliverance I'll ask myself what the greater miracle would be.

3 comments:

Royce said...

Don't call yourself dense, I've noticed women do this a lot, and I don't know if it is because insecure guys like dumb girls, and most guys are insecure so most guys like dumb girls, or if girls measure their intellect by mens interests and strengths ( i.e. cars, pool, home repair, ect). It may be that society as a whole in most countries view women a inferior so women act that way, ( if everybody told Fabio he was ugly eventually he would act that way), but let me tell you two things: First, I have read your blog because Barb reads your blog, and you are way to articulate to be dense, you express yourself very well. Second: almost every tribal society that has ever existed viewed womens strengths as vital to to the SURVIVAL of the tribe, and equall.
Unfortunately todays economy and fast paced work environment often leads to a robotic, repetitive, working conditions that lend themselves to mens strengths.
This is a sad situation because it isolates one half of the available skill sets employers have access to. Royce

David said...

Amen, Royce. But you sound a wee bit self-conscious there! Actually, its amazing I was just thinking this morning about how I've been called some pretty low names. Let's see, there was "Tortus Neurosis," and many other diagnoses. But Jesus loves all of us dunce I mean dense people. I get those two mixed up sometimes. ☺
As I read my Bible, us dense folks have a better probability of being in heaven than the smart people. "For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many" smart, talented, clever, powerful people "are called." 1 Cor. 1:26.
So I'm finally content with my intellectual constitution that I inherited and look for opportunities for God to teach me. He's so patient and kind that can learn from Him when I couldn't learn from my peers, because they weren't patient enough. I don't blame them, but they left a scar that only my best Friend can heal.
Take care, Royce and Trailady.

Trailady said...

Thank you both for the kind thoughts! Guess I'm still learning to accept myself. :o)