Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Another Reason I Love My Kids

This evening we went to Petco to get some new fish for our tank. I'm embarrassed to admit that we had a 50 gal. tank full of beautiful fish at one point. However, we seemed to develop an incurable algae problem. After much research and many water changes, tank cleanings, etc. we still had a problem. So I took 1 drop of the algae-cide we use for our pool, diluted it in a big pitcher of water, then poured slowly into the tank. That stuff must be incredibly potent because in 2 hrs time ALL of our lovely fish were dead. I felt sick to my stomach about it!!
So we're standing in a long line at Petco and these two ladies came walking toward us- arms full of small dog/cat supplies. As they approached us, I noticed they must be mother and daughter because one was old & one was younger & they had similar features. I also saw that their faces were covered in strange, hideous skin growths that distorted their looks & made them look bubbly all over. I don't know what this condition is called, but it must have devastating effects. I wasn't sure how my 4 kids would react & I was nervously hoping they wouldn't stare rudely or gasp at these two ladies who were already so ashamed of their appearances. They carried their merchandise up as high as they possibly could and still see to walk- in order not to be noticed. They came & joined the check-out line directly behind us looking at the floor. So I just did what I always do and struck up a conversation, being careful to look into their beautiful eyes as I was speaking to them. They were both kind of shy at first, but then my 5 yr old turned from the doggie magazine she was looking at (I held my breath) but when she saw them, she wasn't frightened at all, her face lit up and she just started chatting with them. Her older sisters soon joined in. The ladies seemed to be delighted by this and we stood there chatting with them about their little dogs for about 15 mins while the new cashier fumbled to get transactions to go through. After we said our goodbyes and wished them 'Merry Christmas' we got outside the store and my littlest one said, "Mama, those were some really nice ladies weren't they!" My kids have taught me alot about loving...

1 comment:

David said...

Beautiful, very beautiful. I'm surpised you don't have any comments on this one yet. "When I was hungry, you gave Me food. When I was thirsty, you gave Me drink. When I was in prison, you visited Me."