Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Herman is BACK!

Herman was back in the cottage when we got back from the beach. I'm SO happy to see him! (read more about him in a previous post) Sadly, he's still going downhill... His family tried to force him to stay in the nursing home thinking it would prolong his life a little more, but he doesn't want to die there. He wants to die in the little house he built- even if it means he won't live as long, so he demanded they bring him home and they did! The quiet country & faithful companionship of his 2 dogs are great comforts to him. I believe- as much as possible, people should have the right to choose where they want to be when they die. We will be checking on him everyday and helping him whenever we can until it's time for him to close his eyes and rest for good. (For those over-eager-beaver Christians out there who think I'm slacking on the job... NO, I'm not going to force-feed him Theology while he's bedridden and too weak to protest.) He's made his choice. WWJD? I believe Jesus would simply offer love and comfort him in his final days. Herman is such a wonderful man! If he asks me questions about eternal things, I'll be happy to answer, but if not- I will assist him in any way I can to make his passing more peaceful...
I know if anything were ever to happen to me, I wouldn't want to die in a strange hospital being force-fed and helpless. I'd want to be home, surrounded by my family/friends and die with some dignity...

No comments: