Monday, December 12, 2005

Dancing for Daddy...

When I was a girl, I rarely got to spend time with my Dad. I adored him! He was a long-haul truck driver who was gone all week. My Dad has a charming personality and is a devout Christian, so on weekends, he was always in demand for church duties & activities. Of course weekends also meant he had to do maintenance on his big rig- so we didn't get much time with him then either. I missed him terribly during the week! When he came home on Fridays, I was always so excited. I would wait at the window with my little brother and watch for him, then as I saw him coming up the drive my heart would skip a beat! He was my handsome hero who called me "Sugar". Sometimes he would bring us candy. Being a trucker meant he didn't get much sleep during the week and he was always exhausted when he got home. We would eat supper together, then he would go sit in his chair. I knew I had to act quickly before he fell asleep, so I would gulp down my supper, go change into the closest thing I could find that resembled a ballerina. Then I would put on one of his favorite classical records and I would dance my heart out for my Daddy. For 10 glorious minutes, I had his full attention. I would sing, leap and twirl and sometimes just play my violin for him. I really put on a show! How I adored him, how I longed for more time with him, to know his thoughts, his preferences, his character. I wanted him to know me too, but circumstances dictated that it was never meant to be... there will always be the longing of a little girl in my heart for Daddy... the greatest man I never knew. I kept the few letters/cards he ever sent to me and I've read them over and over again.
I grew up with the idea that like my Dad, God was distant and too busy for me. I felt I had to work hard to get a little of His time & attention. I did so many things that I thought would impress Him and get Him to love me. I leaped and twirled spiritually until I was burned out and ready to abandon my pursuit of Him altogether. That's when the truth stepped in and I discovered how much He loves me. He already knows me, because I am His creation. He is my provider and is never too busy to listen to my thoughts, my questions and fears. He is available to receive my love. Knowing I am cared for in this way has been such a comfort to me over the years of moving and struggling to get by with one income and a family of 6 to feed. Jesus referred to God the Father as 'Abba', meaning "Daddy". It's a very intimate term that implies a trusting relationship. The Bible is His love letter and I enjoy reading it. I live my life for Abba, He makes my heart sing and someday I will dance for Him in Heaven.

1 comment:

Human said...

That is a real touching and revealing post.
Peace.
BTW-Hooked up from underground reporter/A Glass of Sheri