Saturday, December 24, 2005

A Simple Phone Call...

Last night the kids were pre-occupied, my husband and I had retreated to our bedroom, the door was locked, the lights were dim........... OK, people, we were just WRAPPING PRESENTS! Anyway, as I was wrapping on my side of the bed, a surge of holiday memories came over me- some good, some sad. My heart hurt & I felt so VERY alone! I looked up from what I was doing and I could tell my man was hurting too. We started talking about why we aren't all holly-jolly this year. We were both just plain MISSING! Missing Grandpa, Timber, our old friends and the little house on Kincaid Road. I cried a little and kept on wrapping the kids presents. Then the phone rang and some friends from college called just to check in and see how we are doing. These are the kind of people we can be real with, so I gave them the "straight up" and they listened & prayed with us. I felt SO encouraged!! For the last several months some other friends of ours have called us just to show they care and that kind of support means the world to me- don't know how I would have made it otherwise... Many times when people call they want me to be there for them or do something on their behalf. Sometimes it's okay to be vulnerable and lean on somebody else for a little while. So, THANK YOU for caring! It's amazing how a smile, a hug or an e-mail can make all the difference between hope & despair. Sometimes I think we feel like we have to do BIG things for God. Go witness overseas, write a book, preach a sermon, donate a kidney. (These are all good things.) Never underestimate the power of a simple phone call.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, sounds like you have some good friends. :)

Be sure to look at a couple of other late nov. (not sure) or dec. posts to see where I commented. sorry I don't recall the dates.