Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Be One!

I am SO glad to live in the genteel south. I've lived in nearly every region of the US now & the south is my favorite. (I do miss New England falls & having snow at Christmas) Yes, we have our share of hickabillies & meth dealers, but over-all it's a great place to be! People are usually polite & things tend to move at a slower pace. You will rarely get honked at or flipped off in traffic down here in the Bible belt, but during the holiday season- LOOK OUT! I can't tell you how many times I've been cut off in traffic this past week. I'm pretty good at rolling with things, but it really gets my goat when the one cutting me off has a fish symbol on their car. (If you're a Christian- drive like one.) Religious t-shirts are a cute idea, but don't wear WWJD, unless you're going to take it seriously. I was standing in a looong line at the Mall this evening. The cashier was having a difficult time. The man in front of me had been waiting an unreasonable amount of time. The girl running the register was obviously flustered, her face & neck were flushed and some of the customers were getting kind of short with her. The guy ahead of me just made jokes & conversed with the rest of us, trying to keep the mood light. When it was finally his turn, the girl messed up & had to call management to assist. This nice young guy never got irritated, he spoke in reassuring tones & continued making pleasant conversation with my children & I. After the transaction was FINALLY complete, he gave the cashier a really big smile, bent down, looked in her eyes and said, "Thanks- you have a Merry Christmas & God bless you." I was next in line & she had tears in her eyes as he walked away. Now, he wasn't wearing a crucifix and probably doesn't have a "Honk if you love Jesus" bumper sticker on his car, but I'd be willing to wager that he's a believer. I am challenged once again to spend less time talking about my Christian beliefs and simply be one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I shudder to think of the times I've been ingorant to the cashier. If it is indeed true that actions speak louder than words, then BEING Christ-like is infinately more impacting than professing Christianity. I, like you, aspire to actively live like what I believe is real.

Anonymous said...

I agree and you should be a preacher! That is exactly why people laugh at Christianty today. Too much talk and not enough walk. I dont' think Jesus would have a bumper sticker either. He wouldnt need one, people would know Him by the way he treats them.