Thursday, December 01, 2005

A Sacrifice...

For years, the Children of Israel offered up innocent lambs as a sacrifice for their sins. This ritual was symbolic of Jesus' death on the Cross for all mankind. Thankfully, that work is completed now and we no longer kill a lamb each time we mess up in order to receive forgiveness! When I reflect on what was done for me at Calvary, I want to be a good Christian- DO something for the Lord to show Him how much I love & appreciate Him. This is a noble intent, unfortunately, this desire often led me to make a self-imposed checklist of behaviors. I was addicted to painful partings as I made my sacrifices to God. Clothing, music, certain no-no foods, social activities, etc. How I enjoyed the pats on the back I received from fellow church-members as many admired my intense piety. I was miserable though- because I had 'swept the house clean' so-to-speak, but without a living connection with Jesus Christ, I was empty inside. Please understand, I believe in clean living & making changes as the Spirit leads, but I was on a rampage- trying to fast-forward my way to perceived "holiness", based on my own (not God's) definition of it. (Having already been pretty conservative, working harder made me extreme- it wasn't pretty!)
How refreshing to have learned the greatest sacrifice God desires from us is to give Him "Praise".
King David wrote much about Praise- Psalm 50:14 for example, "Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving, and perform your vows to the Most High.". Hebrews 13:15, 16 says, "Through Him (Christ) then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge His name. Don't neglect to do good and to share what you have with others, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God." Many people would merely interpret this to mean feeding the poor & sharing material things- in a sense that is correct, but what I believe Paul is really saying here is: "If you have found Grace, share it with others, don't hoard it to yourselves." The fruit of our lips should be the testimony of what God has done for us.
Many don't praise, or do so half-heartedly- simply because they don't feel they have anything to praise about. If we don't come to realize how great is our need for a Savior, we will not feel a great need to praise Him for what He has done for us. It's hard to worship whole-heartedly when we do not yet understand the glorious freedom & REST Christ has given.
Psalm 100 puts it this way, "Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into His presence with singing! Know that the Lord, He is God! It is He who made us and we are His; we are the sheep of His pasture. Enter His gates with thanksgiving, and His courts with praise! Give thanks to Him; bless His name! For the Lord is good; His steadfast love endures forever, and His faithfulness is to all generations."

No comments: