Thursday, December 01, 2005

Look Beyond!

One summer I decided to improve my riding skills by taking a course in jumping. I'm not much into English riding- though I have great respect for those who do enjoy it. It takes a considerable amount of skill to ride English and jump well. The instructor was younger than me and though she was willing to work with each rider, my pride prevented me from feeling a need for her assistence. I worked for hours in the dusty arena- hot sun on my back, the black helmet on my head felt like it was baking my brain. Since I'm a more experienced rider, the horse I was assigned for the jumping class was a real piece of work named 'Lightening'- 'bout as accurate as naming a Bassett Hound 'Lance Armstrong'' would be. I couldn't seem to get the 17 yr. old clod-hopper to work with me. He just wouldn't take the jumps. I was growing tired- thighs were burning from the long posting session. Finally, they switched me over to 'Saber'. Now there's a FINE horse! I got up, circled the arena and went over the caveletti poles to get the feel of him. Confidently, I headed toward the lowest jump. My heart was racing as we approached, surely I would soon be launched into glorious flight. Imagine my dismay when Saber too refused the jump- I nearly launched right out of my seat! Okaaaay, deep breath, bring him around for another try... nope- foiled again! grrrrr Discouragement started to set in. That's when the little instructor came walking toward me. I remember thinking to myself, "Thanks anyway, but I really CAN figure this out on my own!" She was all sweetness & smiles, "I watched you and I know what's wrong. You're too focused on the jump- raise your eyes and look beyond it!" That seemed simple enough, so off we went to try again. First approach I messed up. Next time around, above the sound of hoof-beats I heard a voice "Look beyond it- not at it!" I raised my eyes, using Saber's ears as sights, I focused on the arena beyond the jump. Before I knew it we were sailing! Awesome- few sensations compare!! I looked toward the instructor who was raising the poles saying, "I have a theory, humor me and try this one". So around we went again.... post.... relaxed, confident hands.... look up... oula! We cleared it- then went over several more times!! I was ready to try some higher ones, but the class dared me to make Lightening jump. I got on the lugnut, posted toward the jump, used the same focus... the old boy cleared it!! So it was me all along- not so much him. (If riders look down at a jump instead of over it, the balance is off. If you get behind or ahead of the motion, the horse will lose confidence and stall.)
Years later during a painful trial in my life those words of wisdom echoed in my mind... "Look beyond it!" What's your obstacle? Too many times we're SO focused on the problem, we can't see the other side and are unable to go forward. Each of us have different challenges to overcome, but I'm confident this is a formula for greater success in life! Look beyond it- get over it!

No comments: