Friday, December 30, 2005

Stand Up & Testify...

We are each called to share our testimonies and point souls to Jesus Christ. Don't be afraid to be honest, we all have challenges. I believe the message that was manifested before the ministry of Christ began, is the same simple message for today. "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand". John the Baptist was not only addressing those who were living in open sin, he was pleading for the proud heart of the Pharisee. The Pharisee was strictly religious, very concerned with lifestyle. Because of their great heritage, traditions and teachings, they were blind to see their great need for a Savior or embrace Jesus for Who He was. They were SO concerned with building a kingdom here on earth, they were slack to help the poor or lay up treasure in Heaven. So devoted were they to protecting Sabbath sanctity, they missed out on TRUE REST. This was also my experience and sadly, I found myself in the 7 woes of Matthew. There are legal-minded people in many churches who are trying to earn their way to Heaven and there are also honest seekers to be found. I know this from studying several different faiths. If you are struggling in the clutches of legalism & despair, then you will be happy to know there is freedom & victory in Christ. If you have known Jesus all throughout your journey, PRAISE GOD! (This was not my experience) Rules & regulations were emphasized- not relationship, however I take FULL responsibility for my great struggle. I should have studied the Bible for myself and been more vigilant in prayer... We can be honest about our journeys without delving into self-pity- life is too short for that! Throughout the pages of Scripture, all manner of people find forgiveness & healing, sight is restored, the lame walk, the dead are raised to life, the hungry are fed. No matter who you are, what you've been through, or what you've done, there IS hope because of Jesus. I am interested in hearing what He has done or is doing in your life!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus is doing a work in me as well. Academy was rough and often the faculty were way out of touch with what really mattered. I felt like if I performed well I was saved and if I messed up I was lost. I remember sneaking a radio into the dorm and listening to country music, then feeling for weeks afterward that God didn't love me anymore. Looking back I see that the people in authority were really trying hard to do right by us and I love them for it, but it still hurt to feel judged all the time. Today I am an active member in the church and I have gotton to know God for myself. Our God is an awesome God!

Roseuvsharon said...

One of my greatest challenges is my past. Though I've always claimed to be a christian, there were times when I was a lot more like a pharisee. I got really good at turning up my nose and sneering at things that weren't holy enough. Now that I truly love God and not man made rules, people who knew me before are having a hard time believing that God has changed me. Sometimes I feel unusable for God because of my past.

Anonymous said...

My question to you is, why do we have to know the 'specifics' of the 'awful past' of your life? Isn't it enough to know that Christ has changed and saved you? Even the Apostle Paul didn't tell us exactly what the 'thorn in his flesh' was - just that Jesus helped him through it. That seems like a pretty good example to me! Don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous your comments leave me wondering what you are afraid of and why are you intimidated by honesty? I find it refreshing, since so many Christians go around as if theyve never made a mistake and have no struggles. If you dont like honesty, dont read blogs, cause they are online journals. Did the Bible tell only that King David had a "thorn in his flesh" or did it tell the full details of his sin with Bathsheba? Did the Bible simply say that Mary Magdelene had a "problem"? No it told in detail what her struggle was and does not shy away from saying that she was a whore. The Bible doesnt hold back and neither does Trailady. I have been blessed by her testimony!

Trailady said...

Hi Anonymous, If you only knew how many details I left out!!!!! I could simply say "Praise God, I'm saved".... but that says nothing for how God has worked in my life, or for what His Grace has brought me through. I had Christianity ALL wrong for a long time. I hope that by sharing my story I can help someone avoid the same mistakes.
In response to jennifer and roseuvsharon, Thanks for sharing! All of us are hampered in some way by the past. If you have changed and grown, people will see that. Just keep being who you are in Christ. There may be some who refuse to accept that you have changed. In that case place them in God's hands and move on.

Trailady said...

Sloopy, I'm glad if you've been blessed by my testimony and that of others on this blog- praise God! :o) Keep looking to Jesus, people will let you down.

David said...

I've also lived as a slave to all the taboos. I've had them in my family, in the church, in academy, even in the US Navy. I say slave because the rules were all I ever looked at. "Yes sir, I'll get right on it! You won't have to worry about me disappointing you!" So I served the law. It's been like the Israelites staring at the snakes that were coming to bite them; they couldn't take their eyes off them. Until something better was raised up, and direction was given to look at the thing that was better, Him who personified self-sacrifice.
Knowing this, I still look at the snakes! They are biting me, why shouldn't I? Yet faith says to ignore the pain and look away. His merit, not mine. His temptation, His constant untiring work because the night was coming, His cross-bearing, His tenderness and wounded spirit, not mine.
The law is our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ so that we can be justified by faith.
I didn't mean to sermonize, and Trailady you can delete this if you want. But its been my adventure.

Trailady said...

GREAT thoughts, David- thanks for sharing! :o)