Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Above and Beyond...

What is a church?? Church is more than a building. It is more far-reaching than any single denomination. It is important to gather collectively and pray, but there is also value in going out individually or in small groups to pray and contemplate the things of God.

Prayer is more than just kneeling with hands folded & eyes closed a couple times a day. Prayer is an existence- it is breath to me.

Who can define worship?? I believe it is more than sing-a-hymn, read-a-scripture, give-an-offering, make announcements, have prayer on your knees and go home. Worship is a state of being- an innate sense of gratitude and awareness of God. I have worshipped God with tears and praised Him with laughter. I have even worshipped Him with dance. He is REAL and deserving of praise beyond mere formalism.

Reverence is more than being silent and still in a place of worship. Reverence is more than keeping any one day holy. Reverence is the way we live daily- honoring God, loving other people and caring for the earth we have been given. Scripture tells me that each of us are a Temple of the Holy Spirit- or the essence of God lives within us. In a sense, believers are sanctuaries of the Living God. Don't tell me you love God if you deliberately wound your neighbor. To point a finger of judgement, to give cold stares, to abandon, poke fun or silence a person in need is NOT showing reverence to God.

I have called out to God in open fields, under blue skies & silver clouds and praise Him while basking in the moonlight. I have reverenced Him while reaching for the hand of a dying loved one, or holding a newborn to my breast. I FEEL prayer and peacefulness. It is a privilege when one comes into a greater understanding of their Creator. I've "had church" many times while riding mountain trails, while attending births, while hiking through green meadows. I have celebrated the goodness of The Lord in many kinds of churches and felt the warmth of common Grace with those of other faiths. My heart is growing...
Why do we so limit God through narrow definitions? He is above and beyond the wisest of mankind. Who can describe or understand Him completely? He is more than I ever thought He could be. Words are inadequate to tell of Him. I am opening myself to this Great Wonder- this Lover of my Soul; Abba, Jehovah, Yahweh... the God Who Sees.... The Great I Am....

5 comments:

BrainSyke said...

It is a common advice that I have hered from many people, and would like to share once again since it goes along with the theme of your post.

"The solution to any problem begins with a prayer:In the name of God, Most High, Most Merciful, and Most Gracious". The words here are important, but the real significance lies in the intention of the individual.


Worship is anything that is done solely for the sake of God (alone) and in a manner of excellence and accordance to the teachings of God's messengers Jesus, Jacob, David,Moses, Mohammed, and others...

eat like these messengers of God have taught us to, sleep , converse, lead, teach, help others, raise children, conduct business, earn money, carry a conversation in accordance with the priciples and mannerisms taught by these messengers.

BrainSyke said...

absolutely! well said: "Prayer is more than just kneeling with hands folded". The physical mechanical posture, and movements isnt significant unless the intent is "worship".

Where have the Christians learnt their way of praying from? do they pray as Jesus did? Who taught the Christians how to pray to God?

Jody said...

Yes. I had a conversation with a close friend yesterday who was seriously considering whether or not there is a right way to do church, to worship together, and if God intended for a uniform convention. I told her I think the Spirit has to guide us. And we have to be obedient, and we can look at scripture to guide us as well, but we often limit God while trying to keep order (which is also biblical). So it's a fine line I guess. I appreciate being able to communicate to God through tears and laughter and inner thoughts or outer expressions. I am grateful He doesn't require one type of language because so often my own words fall short.

Asma said...

Prayer is spiritual communication between man and God, a two-way relationship in which man should not only talk to God but also listen to Him. Prayer to God is like a child's conversation with his father. It is natural for a child to ask his father for the things he needs.

BrainSyke said...

I just came accors this:
"The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “One who treads a path in search of knowledge has his path to Paradise made easy by God…”