Monday, May 01, 2006

There HAS to Be Something More!

Our elderly neighbor, Herman is still hanging on to life, despite bone cancer. Over the weekend he was out raking in his yard. He gave us a pretty big scare last winter- thought he was going to die, but he has lived to enjoy another spring. Herman and I have had several interesting discussions on his front porch swings. He does most of the talking and I listen. Herman is somewhat confused as to what happens when we die, but he doesn't believe in eternity. He believes this is the only life you ever get so make the most of it. However, he does half-heartedly believe that he may come back as a flower, tree or some kind of animal. His heart is not open to the Gospel and I refuse to force-feed my beliefs to anyone. I believe in respecting the convictions of others. Herman knows I'm a Christian and that we attend church regularly- if he's ever curious and asks I'll be happy to share some of the tenets of my faith.

Throughout the many trials I faced in life, the only thing that kept me going forward was the hope that there is something more. There JUST has to be something more than what we call "reality" here. In my short lifetime I've known a great deal of joy, but also seen some terrible things. I've witnessed intense sadness and tragedy. Hearts are broken by war, famine and other crisis. 300,000 people were swept away by a Tsunami and countless others killed in earthquakes around the globe. Innocent children are abandoned, aborted and abused in this world. There is such great desire in my heart for peace, for beauty, for love. My spirit dreams of better things and I am filled with such longing... there HAS to be something more! Something more than scraping by day after day. Something more than burying your loved ones. Something beyond darkness, decay and deterioration. Something more than feeling like you never quite measure up to other people's ideas of who you should be.

Herman faces death with the braveness of a soldier and the matter-of-fact nature of a chemist. Call me weak, but in order for me to accept death, I MUST have hope of eternity- a reality beyond that which we are painfully familiar with. This belief comforts me. I can say, "Today I am suffering, but someday....." I don't want to die and come back reincarnated as something else in a never-ending cycle of Karma! I want to be ME forever- only without the scars, blemishes, genetic weaknesses. I want to have hands, eyes, ears to experience life as it was meant to be. I want a heart that is whole and can FEEL. I want to run and not grow weary. The thought of coming back as another, who-knows-what life form brings me little comfort and no satisfaction. (In writing this, I do not wish to offend those who do find the idea of Karma comforting- simply expressing where I am.)
People can mock this hope as being weak-minded, but life is better and I feel there is more quality in each day when Paradise is at the forefront of my mind. Someday we will run into the open arms of our Creator to be comforted and live as we were meant to live... forever!

5 comments:

Asma said...

I pray for ur neighbour...well everyone experiences tough times thats why we are given life.I always believe that the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

GOD BLESS YOU!
Take care

Marcel said...

I, too, have come across many unbelievers who are not ready to receive the message. So, I shake the dust off my sandals and move on in hopes that, sometime, somewhere, they will experience a renewal and come to the foot of the Cross. In the meantime, the advice I always give myself is found in not relying on my own understanding but that of a creator that knows every hair on my head. I take peace in knowing that tomorrow is already taken care of - Matt 6:25-34

Trailady said...

Brian, Yes, this is very true. What used to be a way of life in the US is fast turning into a major-industry. Family farms are going under FAST. Sad! I disapprove of many industrial farming methods, but I will save that for another post. :o)

Asma, those are very deep words- and very true- THANK YOU!! :o)

Marcel, Thanks for sharing your thoughts!! Truly all we must face is today- and it presents enough challenges of it's own doesn't it?! I'm not discouraged about Herman. Too often we are impatient, wanting to share our views, change the other person and move on to another prospect. I am in no hurry with him. Even if he never ever embraces what I believe, I'm still honored to have been his friend during the last season of his life. Often, we shake the dust off our feet because we feel we are the only ones with something to offer and feel rejected if our views are not shared. Patience is difficult for me, but I'm learning to listen with my heart to others. I believe we can learn from every interaction with others- no matter what their beliefs. Be well, my friend. :o)

Aiman said...

I hope your neighbour will recognize deep within that there is a continuation, and that there is a justice beyond this world. We all have to taste death, but it is our belief that will carry us forward.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and well-written post. How happy I am to have found your blog. As a thoughtful writer, may I commend to you my book, Master of the Jinn: A Sufi Novel, a mystical adventure tale on the Sufi path of Love. You can view the book and read an excerpt at http://www.masterofthejinn.com

Peace and Many Blessings,