Thursday, May 04, 2006

Pressing On...

Things continue to be challenging at this time. I feel so helpless to watch the people I care about battle with depression, disillusionment and despondancy. If only I had the power to make things better I would!
However, as much as we hate to admit it, suffering has a purpose. I remember being caught in the throes of childbirth for 30+ hours. A mother suffers tremendously, but considers the pain worthwhile to give life. Grandpa Campbell's words still ring true, "Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger". At 10 years old I was ravaged by Scarlet Fever. My parents were separated- we were very poor. Mom waited it out with bedrest, liquids and controlling the fever as best she could hoping I would get better, but I continued to decline. Finally we went to the Dr. I was so weak he said if Mom had waited a day more I never would have survived. He was worried the fever would damage my eyesight & reproductive organs. (I'm very blessed to have 20/20 vision and 4 kids.) The Dr. put me on some medicine and I began to improve. A week later I was weak but felt fine so we discontinued the medication and breathed a sigh of relief. Just a week later, I had Scarlet Fever again! Somehow I survived... I've been around Scarlet Fever several times over the years since, but never contracted it again. My immune system is stronger for having battled the fever.

Life has a way of hitting us blindside in the ring. We are knocked out not just once, but repeatedly. Only by the grace of God do any of us ever get back on our feet and keep fighting. Darkness hates Light. The forces of evil work against good and all things beautiful. I was born with an inner fire- I'm too blasted stubborn to give up. God help me- I will keep smiling and pressing on...

2 comments:

Gingers Mom said...

That is amazing. God is truly awesome in every sense of the word. What a wonderful example of how we come through our struggles a stronger person.

Aiman said...

Masha'Allah.