Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Hospitals -vs- Museums

The longer I live, the more evident this becomes to me: Churches are meant to be hospitals NOT museums. A museum is a strictly controlled environment, squeaky-clean with cold floors and high ceilings. Patrons are encouraged to speak in low, hushed tones. A Museum is where old relics, dead people & outdated ideas are welcomed, displayed and honored. There is no touching allowed for fear of damaging/polluting the artifacts or getting fingerprints on precious items. Those who frequent museums are usually stoic and think of themselves as having higher intellects than the general population. They tend to keep to themselves in little clusters while in the museum. People often dress up to go view the exhibits... everything is stiff & polite. If you don't have money, you may not even get in. (I like museums- don't get me wrong, but for the sake of making a point, bear with me.)

Hospitals are where the sick and dying go to find help. A good hospital will use current equipment & methods. Coming in for help means a patient must explain their symptoms and share what happened to them in order to be treated. Some are so traumatized they aren't fully conscious of their situation or due to the severity of their injuries it's blatantly obvious what the problem is. Hospitals are busy, hands-on places. You hear the sound of weeping and crying out for help. A lot of praying goes on and heart transplants only take place in hospitals. Dr.'s and nurses don't shy away from a messy, bleeding, desperate person. Rich or poor, black/white, male or female- the medical staff gets right in there to assist and save a life. The unwell simply show up in need, trusting they will find relief. Having been in several accidents and making frequent trips to the ER, I know this is true. After 30 plus hrs of labor and pushing 4 hrs for the birth of my son unsuccessfully, I was fading and was transported to the Labor & Delivery ward of a local hospital for assistence. Completely helpless, exhausted, covered in sweat and fearing for my life and that of the baby. The midwife called ahead to announce our arrival. A whole crew was waiting when we pulled up to the ER- they coached me through a contraction in the car, then wheeled me to the delivery floor. Seeing the apprehension on my face, they were very reassuring. I showed up in nothing but a bathrobe & slippers and I was received. Same story after a serious horse accident. I walked into ER with bad hair & dirty clothes, all broken up and in shock- could've died laying on the frozen ground in the Oregon wilderness, but instead caring people helped me make it to a warm hospital where I was taken in with open arms. They were there for me and helped me heal. I'm SO thankful!!!

There are broken people all around us everyday- they may seem normal, but deep inside there's a struggle within each of us. ALL are sin-sick, weak and wounded. I wonder... when the hurting enter your place of worship will they feel as if they've entered a museum with the "saints" on display in all their self-righteous grandeur- or will they be embraced and referred to the Master Physician for healing? I'm convinced that until we stop being shocked by sin- ashamed to be seen with "sinners", we will be unable to fulfill the Gospel commission and are simply "playing church". My eyes have been opened for quite some time as to my true condition before God- I'm a sinner to the core. The older I get, the more I see this. Everyone born of a woman is capable of great good but also evil. I'm tired of trying to convince myself and others differently. We need a safe place to be REAL. I cherish people who can handle honesty and a God so welcoming to sinners. Every now and then I encounter someone who is like-minded and I am blessed.

"Those who are well have no need of a Physician, but those who are sick..." - Jesus Christ (Matthew 9:12)

12 comments:

Andy said...

Love the analogy. We are all sick, and need the "hospital" of Christ to get well.

BrainSyke said...

Definately an interesting analogy. I will use it too sometime. (as long as you dont copyright it!) :-)

disease of heart, mind, and soul persist in each one of us, we are accountable, and will be judge individually for how we kept our hearts, minds, and ultimately souls in check to be able to lead an upright, and righteous life.

Jody said...

This is an insightful way to describe the security one should feel in a church- surrounded by saints burdened to care for one another. I don't want to come off as judgmental but may I add to the analogy that churches are hospitals, not entertainment centers? I appreciate joyful times with my friends, but I wonder if all of the activities and gatherings are not as Christ-centered as we intend for them to be? (found your blog by browsing-hope you don't mind!)

curious said...

so very true..I personally know few of my friends who have had enough of church politics and r now transforming a portion of their house into a place of worship. To quote in their own words, God is everywhere and in everyone!

Jody said...

Yes, my husband started a worship group and bible study in our house after growing weary of the church scene. I am still willing to give it (church) a shot, but it's nice to have a small intimate group too :)

Will Robison said...

Wow. I think you hit the nail on the head. I just wish I could figure out a way to transform this understanding into action within my own church. We could definitely use a little transformation.

Trailady said...

Small group worship is wonderful and something I very much enjoy- especially prayer time when burdens can be laid aside and forgiveness found. I'm not against going to church by any means. I'm priviledged to attend a very balanced church now. There are simply too many walls of prejudice between different denominations. It's hard to believe that a preacher can sermonize at church, but bash his neighbor for not being enough like himself. If the religion one holds doesn't make them any kinder, open-hearted and compassionate toward sinners, I'm simply not interested in that brand of theology... God IS Love, His Kingdom is built on the principle of love. If we can't learn to genuinely care for others, the rest really matters little.

Tim Rice said...

Jesus came to reach broken people and so must we. For we are all broken people in one way or another. So amen to the church as hospital. :)

Roseuvsharon said...

Just remember.....

We can go in to the "hospital" with one problem, and come out with much more. We do need to make sure that we all wash our hands and do our part to not spread our "diseases" to others. For an otherwise healthy person, a dangerous flu will not be life threatening. However, to an elderly person whose immune system is already compromised, catching my flu could be deadly.

Trailady said...

Interesting thought. It reminded me of the passage that says "Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world." We have nothing to fear from anyone- even those with "unwashed hands", if our own connection with God is solid we have a powerful immunity to sin. As the heart is filled & changed by the love of God, sin no longer looks inviting to us. I think the church has trembled in fear of "contamination" far too long- just as the Pharisees of old who were more concerned about the disciples eating with unwashed hands than with those who were plotting murder. I find a Christ who was fearless. While the Pharisees shrank away in disgust of those in bondage, Christ ran to them. He dined with sinners when no one else would- at the risk of His reputation. How do we quantify whose hands are washed and whose aren't? Every person- no matter how long they've been a member of the church or how righteous they may appear has sin in their lives. Some weaknesses are more obvious than others, but God can only save those who can admit they are sick. We can hide away, keep to ourselves and live sheltered lives, but the problem is the sinful heart. All the washing in the world I can do, will only leave my heart filthy, proud and raw. I need a complete transplant. Lord, let it be so!

Cinderella said...

We are all sinners to the core.At some or the other point of time we have sinned.
Lovely analogy.
What are you?A muse...a recluse...on the way to becoming a thespian??You got it all.
Cheerio.

Trailady said...

Hi Cinderella, I am a seeker. Nothing more, nothing less. We are all on this journey together... if any of my thoughts can encourage someone else, than my life has counted for something.