Monday, May 22, 2006

Embracing Existence...

Woke up today to an overcast sky, but felt good inside. I'm not the kind of person who wakes up groaning and depressed on Monday mornings. I'm the one who says, "All right- bring it on! What adventures does this week have in store?" I went and worked at the gym really hard- felt good! The staff are wonderful there and often make me laugh!! Drove home with the windows open, cool breezes blowing. We live way out in the country. Found myself stuck behind someone going really SLOW. So I had ample time to look around, enjoy the scenery and the smells. Enjoyed seeing cattle grazing in rich, green meadows- such a beautiful scene. I breathed deeply as the fragrance of honeysuckle, clover and thistle blossoms drifted in. mmmmm- sweet smells!!

I love life! Yes, it offers many challenges. I know what it's like to feel abandoned, broken, abused and discouraged. I've felt the sting of personal failure and the devastation of losing the ones I love. But I also know the exhileration of seeing my babies for the very first time, racing across the desert on horseback with the wind in my hair, and hearing the sigh of a contented lover. We cannot merely embrace happiness and divorce ourselves from sadness because it's another dimension of our existence. My life is often like an open book. Happiness makes me dance, sadness brings tears- both let me know that I'm alive. I'm still figuring out who I am, but this I know; my passion is deep, my heart is strong. Long ago, I wished for death to come- today, for good or ill, I'm embracing my existence- the shackles on my soul are falling away... feels good...

6 comments:

Jody said...

I've had a similar experience recently, feeling the cool ocean air and watching the fog roll in off the water. and wisping through the trees. It's quite beautiful and majestic, all the clouds meeting with the mountains and sunset light bouncing underneath. It changes so quickly I have to take time to look!
I've been to Tennesse, too. Awesome place. It was the first place I've ever seen lightning bugs!

Trailady said...

Brian, you are a funny guy! It's a battle worth fighting to accept yourself and learn to enjoy your life. Best wishes to you in this endeavor. :o)

Trailady said...

Jody, That description was very beautiful. I love the sea. There are so many joys to be found walking on the shore. I've been fortunate enough to have seen the sunset on the West coast and the sunrise on the East coast. Neat experience!

Roseuvsharon said...

I may grumble and complain. I may say how it isn't fair. But inside, I'm saying "Bring it on!" God and I can handle anything, and it's nice of Him to let me participate even though He can do it all Himself. Bring it on!

Gingers Mom said...

The way that you can see through sadness to the joy in life is astounding. We could all stand to be more like you in that way.

pradiip said...

Yepii, I even hate getting up on monday mornings. damn would need to learn this.
Nice articulation.