Tuesday, May 30, 2006

News For Today...

Guess you could say we had a relaxing Memorial Day weekend. Didn't go anywhere or do anything but yard/barn work- until Monday afternoon when we took the kids & 2 of their friends to the YMCA to swim in the outdoor pool. That was nice. Hope you had some fun! :o) Speaking of the 'Y', orientations are over now and my classes are going well.

My man is still struggling. Contemplating a career change. He got the platform for the kids treehouse built, then lay there for a long time just staring into the sky. Later, as a thunder storm rolled in, he sat in a chair on the back porch. Last night he tossed & turned. (I got about 3 hrs of good sleep) I'm trying to be patient and supportive as he figures it out. Any kind of change or decision is very hard for him and takes a long time to process. I cannot do this for him though- it's his battle... I trust resolution will come in time...

Sat for an hour up at Herman's cottage today on the front porch swing- our favorite place to chat. I just love this old guy! He is an interesting character with strong opinions, yet he is gentle with animals and doesn't like to eat them. He's so weak from the Cancer in his bones- can barely stand for more than about 10 minutes, but he is still pleasant. He even made us a beautiful strawberry shortcake and some wonderful jelly. No WELL person has ever made me a cake- just because- and here is old Herman baking for us. I'm very touched and return the favor in pot-pies- his favorite! He has been content to live alone most of his long life, but every so often he gets lonely and makes his way down the hill to invite me up for a Coke. Today our discussion was about Buddhism- he likes a lot of that philosophy. He said a local minister came to visit him again. People know Herman is dying- that he's never believed in God, Salvation or Eternal Life. So it's "crunch time" for the saints to try and convert Herman- he says partly so they can take credit for getting him saved. He got a letter from a local woman saying, "Herman, It's been nice knowing you. I hope to see you in Heaven someday". Hermans reply? "I haven't died yet. If you care so much about me why don't you come see me now??" These kind of efforts only make him more determined to exercise his right NOT to accept the faith. He complains to me about this. He asked me, "You're a Christian, so why aren't you up here force-feeding it to me?" I said, "Herman, everyone is free to believe as they wish. You've made it very clear to me that you don't want anything to do with Christianity and I must respect your decision." He smiled and said, "You're a good neighbor." He doesn't believe in eternal life, paradise or anything beyond the grave. (I could never accept dying without hope for something more.) But Herman is a soldier trained to face death with firm resolve. I don't know how much longer he has, but I take every possible opportunity to occupy his porch swing and listen to his stories...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for an honest rundown of an awesome weekend. My kind of time! I'll be praying for your man. I've been through career changes and wrestled like that too. Tough spot to be in. Your Bro, Donny

Pam Hogeweide said...

my husband is building a treehouse, too. The floor is put in. Today he began framing. We plan to put a flatscreen tv and a hot tub in it...had ya goin' didn't I? :-)

Thanks for stopping by my non-bloggy blog. I blogged a lot last year, but gave it up six months ago. On a whim I put up this new blog, but as you can see I haven't really gotten into it. Each time I think I'm ready to dismantle it somebody else writes in.

I'll decide soon, to blog or not to blog, that is the quest I am on.

Pam Hogeweide said...

he really is building a tree house.

Raheel Lakhani said...

You ppl seem to be a nice and understanding couple, mashallah :)

Roseuvsharon said...

Yes, it's his battle.

However, the longer he wages this personal battle, the more it affects the whole family. Ask me how I know.

Change can be hard.

Nabeel said...

the poch swing looks sooo nice .. is that a blanket of a shawl?

what career change is he going towards? would be happy to help :)

Marcel said...

TLady,

Please consider this point of view about your neighbor. You stated, "He asked me, 'You're a Christian, so why aren't you up here force-feeding it to me?' I said, 'Herman, everyone is free to believe as they wish. You've made it very clear to me that you don't want anything to do with Christianity and I must respect your decision.'"

Listen, sometimes God prepares the way for witnessing by placing the right person in someone's life. That someone may be you. You are the only Christian that Herman felt loved by, and has returned that love. He bakes you stuff! I would give myself (if I were you) more credit because if you DO witness to Herman, it isn't religion you're peddling (like all the others whe he shuns and detests), but a relationship with a Friend - Jesus. And that has already been exemplified in how you treat him.

I would hate for you to feel any regret after old Herman goes because you never told the greatest story in the world. If Herman could hear the Gospel from anyone without rejecting their ulterior motives, that person is the one that shares his porch and makes him pot pies!