Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Farewell...

Today I received word that a friend of mine from highschool passed away. Marc Patrick Oswald was an amazing person! He had a smile that would light up the room and a sparkle in his eye. He was entertaining, athletic and handsome. We used to call him "Baby New Year" because his ears were so cute. He loved to play jokes on people. I only attended school with Marc for half a year at HVA. He went forward and gave his heart to God during the same week of prayer that I did, but a struggle with alcohol and drugs caused the school to kick him out halfway through the year. I never saw him again...

The school may have given up on him, but God did not. Marc was able to kick his drug/drinking habit and was on his way to a brighter future when he dove into a river during a picnic outing, and broke his neck. As he floated down the river face down, he asked God to save him. Two strangers pulled him toward the shore and held his head above water. Marc's positive attitude was barely shaken by quadriplegia. His faith remained strong and people say he was an inspiration- always offering encouragement and cheering people up in the hospital. I'm sorry I didn't have the chance to know Marc more than I did. I searched in vain for him several times so I could write to him, but nobody ever seemed to know where he was or how he was doing. Sad- how we all get so disconnected and the first news I heard of him since the accident was that at 32, he passed away. I am incredibly sad.... I sit looking at his smiling picture on the program from his memorial and it's hard to imagine someone who loved life so much could be gone... Today was not one of my better days. Don't know what else to say.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear this. May god bless his soul. This reminded me of saying that
"Those who are loved most by God, leave early."

Nabeel said...

may he rest in peace .. and may God bless him.

How did he pass away?

Royce said...

Yeah, know how you feel, just like when my buddy Bob passed. Really bites.
I am really sorry for your loss.

BrainSyke said...

May his soul rest in peace

Trailady said...

Thank you, friends.

Nabeel, Marc died of complications from an internal infection. Being quadraplegic he had both a catheter and a colostomy. Somehow bacteria got into his system. He was a strong person, but he was tired of fighting...

Royce, I remember that hit you pretty hard and you did such a nice write up about Bob. Unfortunately, death is no respecter of persons... Marc was 32. He was a few grades ahead of me in school.