Thursday, May 18, 2006

In Other News...

I've subbed 6 times at the YMCA now. 1 class was a struggle because the CD player kept skipping around. It worked fine for an hour, but when the second class came in, it started acting up. I made the best of it- kept moving and managed to keep a smile on my face despite how flustered I felt. It's very intimidating to go into a class of die-hards and not be able to keep things flowing smoothly for reasons mostly beyond my control. It will get better as I go. Still feeling a little rusty after nearly 2 yrs out of the fitness industry. I continue to notice progress in my body- which makes the hard work worth it. I'm currently trying to bust a plateau. First 12 lbs came off, then a holding pattern. This is when most people get discouraged and quit. I'm a fighter. If I keep pushing, I'll breakthrough and lose a little more. Eventually, I hope to get back in marathon condition, but we'll see. My left knee bothers me some- especially when I run on pavement. Can't seem to remember to get the camera to the gym. I'll try to remember it tomorrow...

My husband & I were supposed to have a full concert this weekend, but it's been moved to July. This is providential considering he's very burned out right now. Just need to relax until we gets things sorted out. Thank God for some good friends who are in a similar state of flux. They are good companions who understand where we are right now.

Sometimes I ask God what He was doing when He made me the way I am. My husband is extremely laid back, serious & low key, while I am an energetic, goofy go-getter. Yeah, I know- "opposites attract", but if a man is insecure, being married to a girl like me isn't going to help him much. Upon the advice of some older women in the church, I tried for years to change myself into the quiet, humble, submissive little house mouse that would walk 5 paces behind and help him feel like more of a man, but it just doesn't work. I found myself depressed & angry all the time during the 5 yrs I tried to re-wire myself into what I thought he wanted me to be and we were getting nowhere. So, here I am- this is me and somehow, we learn to work with it or fall apart...

The children are very much looking forward to summer camp this year. They will get to swim, ride horses, sing and play with friends. How I miss my days at camp each summer!! Good memories! Get the itch to go back each year, but it's virtually impossible now. Why do I hold onto the past so much? Guess I'm just a sentimental fool!! :o)

I find comfort in the book of Psalms. King David shared his struggles- they are recorded in the Bible and I feel less alone when I read about his dispair, his longing for peace, his mistakes. He was by NO means perfect, but kept trying anyway. I want to live an honorable life. Maybe in some small way as I paint a picture of my experiences, perhaps someday someone out there will read about my life and know that someone understands?

11 comments:

Royce said...

Relationships can be taxing, but that " 5 steps behind with no opinion " stuff is not for me. I talk loud, I am extremely opinionated, i am spontaneous and boisterous. I like well rounded ( no pun intended ) independant, strong, smart women. Why be with someone if all you do is try repress them?
Oh well, just my opinion.
Congratulations on sticking with the workouts, the cd palyer skipping had to be frustrating, lol.
And you are right most people don't stick to working out long enough to bust plateaus. My best bench ever was 300, but I was stuck at about 275 for almost 2 years. It sucked to go in day after day and grind it out at the gym and stay the same. But when you break a plateau that has held you back it is a feeling like no other!!

Jody said...

It's funny because most people would consider 275 lbs a lifetime achievement and not a "plateau!"

Trailady said...

Hi Brian. Thanks for stopping by.

Hey Royce, Have to say I agree with Jody. 275 would be HUGE for a lot of people- especially someone like me. My top bench press was 100. Of course, I'm a girl so that makes a difference... but 275 isn't wimpy.

Jody said...

i topped out at 60 lbs- which is over half my body weight so don't laugh! Then I started doing "toning" with 5 lbs and that worked out much better for me and (as my friend calls it) "high muscle memory"

Andy said...

I've done a couple of powerlifting competitions (Bench and deadlift) - I've seen some massive weight lifted - usually with the help of equipment (supertight shirts for bench pressing that can add 50-100 lbs to a press).

In my case, I've plateaued at about 320 lbs sans super tight shirt...and have been there for several months...so I completely understand the frustration of not breaking through.

Royce said...

Trust me guys it is not there now, about 225 is all I could muster on a good day now, if that. It took me 4 years from 135 for 2-3 untill I hit 300 for 1. I am working on mostly endurance and strength in movement.
Andy although Kettlebells have consumed me I still want to gain strength in the big 3 squat, bench, deads.
I have been interested in competing lately ( at what i don't know ). There is this completely raw deadlift competition the AAU holds. The founder of the American kb movement organized it. but you have to pull 2.5 x bodyweight, 675 for me.......no belt no wraps no suit. I will wait untill I am 200 then it's 500 that is a little more reasonable.
There is also this cool competition called the TSC. it consists of 3 things pullups, 53lb Kettlebell snatches for all the reps you can get in 5 min. and deads. We'll see.

Andy said...

Royce - check out WABDL - that's where I've competed in the past - only bench and DL. Variety of age/weight divisions. Best Raw DL for me is 475; with suit 525 - did the 525 at about 210 lbs.

Trailady said...

I was a judge for 2 years of weightlifting competitions. Clean & Jerk, Snatch, Squat and Deadlift. Very much enjoyed it! The human body is such an incredible machine!!! Never ceases to amaze me how we respond to training.

Jody, I'm with you on the toning bit. I did bodybuilding for 2 years and I simply bulked up. The bigger I got, the bigger my appetite. My arms & shoulders were huge for a girl! I didn't get the definition I desired- even with large amounts of cardio so I backed it down to light weights- lots of reps. I look, perform and feel better sticking with cardio, stretch and toning.

Trailady said...

PS. Just to clarify, my husband never tried to repress me- He's so laid back I simply overwhelm him. I repressed myself because some older ladies told me they observed something about our marriage that needed to be changed- me. I was to keep my ideas, opinions, needs to myself and simply keep the house clean, the kids fed and never take initiative so my husband would feel like a man. I was supposed to stand quietly beside him whenever we were at church, shopping or otherwise- let him do all the talking. (He doesn't talk much) Things were VERY quiet- being the outgoing person I am- just couldn't live like that. I'm over it now, but wanted to say that my man is not a tyrant. Hope I didn't make it sound that way...

Roseuvsharon said...

Isn't it amazing how other women know exactly what is wrong with you and your relationship with your husband? Granted, the older women are to mentor the younger, it is biblical, but come on people. Don't open your mouth unless you know it is God guiding and not your own sinful/selfish opinions.

I've tried to be a wallflower too, but you can't force me to be gagged and tied when God is putting so much in my heart to share. I've also asked why did God make me, the female, the assertive and outgoing one, and make my husband, the male, the laid back and introvert? Doesn't seem to make sense, but I can't question God.

One book that has really helped me recently is Sex Roles and the Christian Family. It has helped me to channel my assertiveness into areas that will help my family, not harm. However, I still have a ways to go, that's for sure.

As far as physical fitness goes, I have a workout on my cellerciser every morning. Light weights for me, I'm not trying to be Mr. Universe here. I jump and do arm curls at the same time. You've never experienced the full benefit of jogging until you've done it on a cellerciser. Wow! You know you've worked out when you're done on that thing.

Trailady said...

Yep, Sharon you're preaching to the choir on this one. I don't want to wear the pants in the family, but if the man isn't a self-starter somebody has to get things to happen...

I don't mind advice, in fact I welcome it- as long as it's given as advice and not as a command. Unfortunately, the women who gave me marital advice were the same women who helped mentor me into fanaticism. Glad those days are over!!

Glad to hear you are taking some "me" time for yourself and getting a little exercise. You GO, girl! :o)