Sunday, May 28, 2006

It's About Love...

Man makes everything SOOOOO complicated. People like to form little societies. We like to put up fences on God's green earth to feel as if we own and are in charge of a part of it.

"God IS Love. If we do not love, we do not know God." God's requirements are Love. Love to God, love yourself as His child and love to your neighbor. Unfortunately many churches teach: Fear of God, distain of yourself, condemn your neighbor for not being exactly like you. Certainly do not enjoy anything here on earth or you will surely burn.

All I'm saying is that if I'm to be a part of any church, then it had better live up to what it claims- for the end of all things is at hand. Otherwise, I will live my life based on conviction and step outside the machine. If I were to get on this blog and bash every religion that doesn't agree with mine- some would egg me on and call me a prophet. However, to uphold tolerance, unity and love for ALL men, I am accused of "watering down the message"? Love is the essence of God. He is merciful & just. He alone can change our hearts so that we can truly give love and extend mercy to others. I challenge all believers- whatever faith you claim, keep learning, studying and growing. Not a one of us has it all together. To pretend that we do would be the greatest farce ever! Jesus did not hesitate to point out inconsistency when He saw it and since He is my example, neither can I. Too many of us are content to invite a neighbor to a crusade once a year and ignore him the rest of the year. But hey, we did our Christian duty- right?! Don't ask me to invite him over just for a friendly chat or to go help him mow the back 40- that would be asking too much. Can't associate with him too much for fear of his influence after all....

Paul sums it up SO well in 1 Corinthians 13. (This is called the Love Chapter in the Bible)

"Though I speak the tongues of men and angels, if I have not love, I'm as annoying as sounding brass and clanging cymbals. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love- it profits me nothing." Paul is making it VERY clear that without a genuine love in our hearts for fellow man, all our good deeds, righteous acts and pilgrimages are useless. If Paul lived today, he would probably add, "And though I sit in church every week, though I study my lesson, fast regularly, eat the strictest of diets, wear a gunny-sack for clothing and vote Republican, without love I am nothing."

I have received some e-mails based on my previous post. It's not my intention to "bash" anyone here- only to point out the truth as I have come to see it. There are those who smugly say, "If you are part of this church, if you keep the commandments, if you pay your tithe regularly, if you avoid this, this and this, then you are saved." This is too formulaic and FAR from the truth. Is it any wonder there are so many Pharisees in our ranks today?! God wants your heart more than He wants your service. This was demonstrated by the sisters, Mary & Martha. Mary sat at the feet of Jesus listening intently and building relationship with Him, while Martha sweated it out in the kitchen trying to impress with all her hard work. Martha comes out in pure frustration saying, "Tell my sister to get with the program and help with all this work." However, Jesus told Martha that Mary had made the wiser choice. Jesus said, "I desire MERCY not sacrifice". We must be changed into His image. That will never happen while focused on rules. Jesus ran to sinners, not away from them. He touched the untouchable, loved the unloveable and dined with outcasts to show that men may judge and turn their backs, but God loves the hurting, the broken and weary. What all-consuming, reckless love! I want more of it!!!!!

Again, Salvation is not about man straining to reach up to God, it's about God reaching down to lift us up.

11 comments:

ashok said...

wonderful words...God Bless U

Raheel Lakhani said...

One more thing:

First change yourself, everything will change automatically.

With Love,
Raheel Lakhani :)

Trailady said...

Thank you for stopping by, Ashok. :o)

Yes, Raheel, you are correct. The greatest change begins in ourselves. :o)
After trying for many years to change myself, I had changed a few habits & behaviors, but I realized that it takes the power of The Almighty to really make me different inside- to change the way I think. I cannot will this upon myself. I believe it is God Who works this in those who are willing...

Nabeel said...

interesting post trial lady .. see God is not just Love .. ok .. let me explain .. Love is a trait of God (a trait to its fullest .. any trait he has is to the fullest i mean it's God) .. hence humans have LOVE .. God is proud and has vanity .. hence humans have vanity (God made us hence we have His traits) .. God is forgiving .. hence many humans are forgving .. God gets angry and hence humans get angry.

God said that I love my creation 1000 times more than a mother loves her child .. ask for forgviness and I shall give it to you.

Trailady said...

Nabeel, thank you for sharing your insights. Yes, certainly God is more than just love. He is mercy and justice. He is peace but also vengeance. So there are many different facets of His character. However, I do believe Love & Mercy are His most wonderful attributes and the ones I wish to emulate.

I appreciated the quote you shared about forgiveness. Very nice. :o)

Rob said...

Hey Trail...

Found my way here via Emerging Grace. Great post!

You're also the first blogger from Tennessee I've ever come across. I lived in Hixson when I was a wee lad.

Small world, sometimes.

Rob said...

Blogger bugs me sometimes, when it refuses to post info. The URL to my site is www.robbymac.org, fwiw.

Linda said...

hi trailady,
I think that is love for the body of Christ that will help us navigate through our questions about church.

We certainly were on the same train of thought today.

I've added you to my bloglines. My blogroll desperately needs updating.

btw, I thought I had been part of the one-true-remnant church, surprised to hear there is another.

BrainSyke said...

thanks for the beautiful reminders.

I dont think its all about Love. We all know, everything else in this world either makes "love" easy or hard, sustainable or faked.

We cannot pretend to have the kind of love that God has for its creation. To humans, love is means, and a duty, but not the end.

ancient clown said...

Actually, I think it has to do with learning how to 'LISTEN' to GOD...and the jounrey DOES begin within. I define 'Original Sin as simply 'Not Listening'.
Of course I also like to say I don't think I know...I just know I'm thinking. I invite you to share in Planting the Seeds and give this to your children.
"To give a person a tree is to give them a present...but to teach them how to make a tree is a gift for life."
your humble servant,
Ancient Clown

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head! Alot of churches preach piety and fearing God but God is love. So many people "Play Church" and it makes me sick. What many Christians have become is Jews to the extent that they go through the Religious motions week in and week out but miss out what Jesus was really about. He was all about Spirituality and not Religion. Love the Lord with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself (that is spirituality). Giving a tithe of 10%, dressed in your Sunday best, and doctrinal condemnations is religiosity.

I've felt like this for a long time and it wasn't until I found a church that was the perfect church for an imperfect person such as myself that I could really grow spiritually. My church has it's problems but they are minor compared to what I grew up in.

Anyway.......I rambled on here and got off track. I love your blog and am adding it to my blog links.
Your Bro, Donny